It’s backyard BBQ and potluck season! Bring on the get-togethers, the sun, and the fun! I love the relaxed atmosphere of summertime, and when it comes to putting together items to serve to friends and family, there are a lot of options to consider. I know that I tend to gravitate to chilled dishes in the warm months of the year, so this spicy watermelon salad is a no-brainer summer staple in my book!
This salad is fresh, easy to put together, and is a taste of summertime. To me, watermelon screams summer. It makes me want to break out the swimsuit, sunglasses, and flip flops and head to the beach! The slightly sweet melon paired with a kick of jalapeno, peppery arugula, and some soft feta cheese is a great combination. When you add a drizzle of homemade honey lime dressing, it takes it over the top. It is a great accompaniment to all of the wonderful grilled creations that are sure to be headed to the table for the meal.
I don’t know about you, but being able to prepare for potlucks or BBQs in advance is always a huge help. I make sure there are at least a few dishes that can be prepared a day or so ahead of time, or perhaps in the morning on the day of the get-together. The less time in the kitchen and the more time with guests, the better! This salad comes together in minutes: slice your watermelon in advance, then simply toss all of the ingredients together right before serving! To keep the greens from wilting, you can always set the salad dressing on the side and allow guests to drizzle their desired amount on as they dish up their portion.
I like when I can find a dish that hits so many different flavor and texture profiles – sweet, spicy, peppery, soft, crunchy…it’s all in there! You can always choose to omit the jalapeno if you are a bit afraid of the spice: it’s up to you! You will still get a slightly spicy kick with the peppery arugula. But for me, I like to live on the spicy side of life! Of course, having a refreshing beverage to sip on is ideal. This week, Sunday Supper is teaming up with Gallo Family Vineyards to bring you a collection of BBQ and Potluck recipes that are perfect to pair with their wines. For this recipe, a glass of Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sauvignon Blanc is one to consider: it is light, crisp, and pairs well with salads. Alternately, a glass of Red Moscato would pair well against this watermelon salad. It has flavors of bright citrus and peach and complements soft cheeses and spicy food. With either choice, you won’t go wrong!
So – what are your favorite dishes to bring along to summer BBQs?
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 1 pound watermelon, cut in one inch cubes
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Honey Lime Dressing - click for recipe
- Add arugula, watermelon, and jalapeno to a large salad bowl. Drizzle lightly with honey lime dressing (to taste), and toss gently to combine.
- Garnish with crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!
Make sure you take a look at all of the delicious dishes created by the Sunday Supper family today –
- Buffalo Bread by Feed Me, Seymour
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Creamy Asparagus Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Bibimbap Bar by kimchi MOM
- Chicken Satay by Curious Cuisiniere
- Citrus Grilled Chicken Under a Brick by Nosh My Way
- Garlicky Sirloin Steak For A Crowd by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Grilled Mediterranean Salmon Burgers with Tzatziki by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Sides and Salads:
- Bacon Strawberry and Farro Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Balsamic Blueberry Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
- Caprese Pasta Salad by One Sweet Mess
- Grilled Rainbow Potato Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Spicy Watermelon Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Tortellini Salad by Magnolia Days
- Coconut Shortcakes with Grilled Pineapple by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Frozen Root Beer Float Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Peaches with Brioche by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- S’more Cookie Cups by Desserts Required
BBQ Helpful Info:
- 5 Tips for Using BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement
If you’re looking for more ideas for your Backyard BBQs and Potlucks, make sure you check out Gallo’s blog post! You can also use Gallo’s store locator to see where to purchase bottles for your next gathering. You can find Gallo on their website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You know spicy gets me every time. Love salads with a kick.
Ohhhh, you know I am loving the jalapeno in this salad! What a great, light, refreshing salad!
Um why have I never thought of these flavor combos together? The jalapeno with cool watermelon?! So much yum!
I love watermelon in a savory type salad with salt and pepper! This is such a beautiful dish and perfect for a summer BBQ!
So simple, so perfectly summery, so incredibly delicious!
I am so excited about spicy watermelon, that I’m making this for dinner tonight!
Watermelon in salad is one of my favorites, it’s right up there with strawberries and mango. Love this!
I love this salad! Watermelon and feta go so well together.
Love the spicy kick from the jalapeno! Great idea.
I love the combination of flavors in this salad – from the peppery arugula to the sweet, juicy watermelon and everything in between. Just gorgeous!
Such a gorgeous salad! Love the flavors!