Can you believe it is back to school time already? It seems like only yesterday I was wrapping up the school year (in May). Little did I know that instead of heading back to school, I’d be taking on a new job completely instead of setting up my classrooms and making lesson plans! So, today’s Sunday Supper is all about back to school, and I’m contributing some parmesan garlic oven roasted chickpeas for the occasion!
Even thought I am NOT heading back to school, that doesn’t mean I don’t want to think about it. I have such fond memories of getting ready for school to begin when I was a kid. Can you say: back to school shopping? I love love loved it. There was something so thrilling about buying a few new outfits to wear on those first days of school…not to mention all of the supplies! What in the world is it about a fresh pack of pens, pencils, markers, and the like? The fresh notebooks, the new binders and dividers, the new PLANNER? I’ll be honest: I still love my physical planner in my adult days. I even have to resist the urge to raid the school supply section in Target when all of the items are put on display. Give me Post-It notes! Give me Sharpie markers! I want allllll the things.
But – on to the main point of today – some food! I thought I’d whip up an oh so yummy back to school snack for today’s Sunday Supper. I have been dying to try out some oven roasted chickpeas, and I knew they would make a perfect dish for an afternoon bite. And I have to say – I was oh so right about them. I am not sure how it has taken me so long to become addicted to this snack, but it’s official: I’m hooked. These parmesan garlic oven roasted chickpeas are crunchy, warm, and add a punch of protein. Instead of snacking on crackers or chips, these are a great (and flavorful) replacement. Justin and I devoured my first batch in record speed. I now see many many more batches in our future. I even have Justin ringing in on this notion – he and I are brainstorming new flavor combinations we’d like to try. It’s going to happen.
So – do you have any other after school/afternoon snacks you love to make?
- 1 can (15½ oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas, then remove the skins. To remove the skin, pinch a chickpea between your thumb and index finger. The skin should slide off. Discard the chickpea skins, and add the chickpeas into a bowl.
- Toss the chickpeas in olive oil. grated parmesan, garlic salt, and pepper until they are fully coated.
- Line a baking sheet/tray with parchment paper and pour the chickpeas in a single layer on top.
- Bake the chickpeas for 35-40 minutes until golden and crispy, shaking the tray halfway through to toss them. Enjoy!
Make sure you check out all of the amazing back to school offerings for Sunday Supper!
Back to School Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.