Well, football season is officially upon us. Are you excited?
I’ll be honest: I’m not much of a football fan. I somewhat blame going to college at a university where attending the football game was more of a social event and included dressing up in heels and pearls with my sorority sisters. The dressing up was fun, but I don’t know that I ever WATCHED a football game.
There is one thing I love about football though: tailgating food! Being able to gather with friends and family to enjoy some fun eats is always a blast. My tailgating experience isn’t usually at a football game…rather, it is in my own kitchen.
One of my favorite side dishes to eat are roasted potatoes. They’re simple, they’re tasty, they’re a crowd pleaser! Ordinarily, I use red skin potatoes with this recipe, but when I laid eyes on a bag of purple potatoes at the store, I just had to have them.
This recipe is almost TOO simple…but simple can be fantastic. Plus, you’ll have plenty of time to keep your eye on the football game/socialize instead of slaving away in the kitchen. All it takes is a little bit of slicing, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and some Garlic Goodness sauce from Intensity Academy.
Pop them in the oven, and you’ll end up with some crispy (but soft on the inside) potatoes, perfect to accompany your burger, hotdog, or other tailgating food on your menu.
Roasted Purple Potatoes
- 1 small bag purple potatoes (28oz)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used Chile Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tbsp Garlic Goodness sauce (you can sub 3-4 cloves minced garlic and an extra drizzle of olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash/lightly scrub purple potatoes and pat dry. Slice each potato into quarters and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and Garlic Goodness sauce. Toss to coat.
- Spread sliced potatoes out evenly on a nonstick cookie sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil and a spray of nonstick cooking spray for easier cleanup later). Bake for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are crispy, turning/stirring once or twice.
And if you are in need of more inspiration for your tailgate food, I’ve got some for you! There are plenty of dishes to choose from…
Join the folks at Sunday Supper as we share our favorite tailgate recipes and tips. Hop on twitter at 7pm EST for the live #SundaySupper chat.
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked
From the Cooler:
- Sparkling Tropical Lemonade by Dinners. Dishes, and Desserts
- Strawberry Horchata by Damn Delicious
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday
What is your favorite food to eat at a tailgate?