Did you know? The month of April happens to be National Grilled Cheese Month! That seems like cause to celebrate, if you ask me!
Grilled cheese is one of those comfort foods I can’t get enough of. I have fond memories from childhood – my grilled cheese sandwiches were most likely made with American cheese slices and soft white bread. There’s something so nostalgic about it and I’m sure it would still taste yummy nowadays…dipped in some tomato soup, perhaps? However, fancy grilled cheeses have been all the rage lately, and the flavor combinations seem endless. Grilled cheese is much more than just white bread and cheddar, and the Sunday Supper crew is going to introduce you to some awesome sandwich ideas today.
The grilled cheese I want to share with you might not be considered a “traditional” grilled cheese, but the flavor and texture combination is delicious. When I was tasked with creating my own grilled cheese creation to pair with Gallo Family Vineyards wine (specifically, the Sauvignon Blanc), the wheels began turning. It just so happened that Justin and I were grabbing a quick lunch at a Greek restaurant when it hit me. I looked down at my Greek salad and thought to myself: why not? I should make a Greek salad version of grilled cheese! And the Greek Salad Grilled Cheese was born.
You’ve got the crunchy and toasted exterior…a classic and essential part of the grilled cheese. The addition of crisp cucumber slices, bell pepper, and a hint of red onion contribute extra crunch to the sandwich. Then, you have the creamy goodness imparted by the hummus and cheese. I might be biased, but I love this combination. If you’re a fan of Greek salads, you will too. You could also take your own twist on the ingredients in this sandwich. Sliced Kalamata olives would be a nice touch (I left them out this time because Justin doesn’t enjoy them. Aren’t I nice?), and you could swap out the regular bread for pita bread. So many options…
This sandwich couples nicely with a glass of the Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sauvignon Blanc. The flavors are fruity and crisp, with hints of melon and citrus. The wine pairs well with tangy tomato sauce, seafood, and salads…which is why this Greek Salad Sandwich is a fantastic match (at least in my opinion).
If you’d like to see where you can pick up a bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards’ wine, check out their store locator and their website for more information. Make sure you find them on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram as well!
What is your favorite combination for a grilled cheese sandwich?
Greek Salad Grilled Cheese
2 slices of bread (sourdough or a crusty variety. Pita would also be great)
1 tsp (approx) olive oil
1-2 tbsp hummus (flavor of your choice)
Feta cheese crumbles
Red onion (2-3 strips)
4-5 thin strips bell pepper
4-5 thin rounds of cucumber
2 slices tomato
Sprinkle of oregano
1. Preheat a griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Brush a thin layer of olive oil on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice in the bottom of the frying pan, olive oil side down. Then, spread half of the hummus on the side of the bread facing up. Sprinkle a layer of feta cheese on top of the hummus, then add the onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, a sprinkle of oregano, and more feta cheese on top.
2. Spread the second half of the hummus on the second piece of bread, on the opposite side that was brushed with olive oil. Place the slice of bread hummus side down onto the sandwich, and use a spatula to gently press the sandwich together. Grill the sandwich until the bottom side is golden brown. Then, carefully flip the grilled cheese on to the other side and cook until it has reached a golden brown color as well. Serve immediately; enjoy!
***Note: I added cheese and hummus on both the top and bottom of this sandwich to help hold it together. You don’t necessarily have to do the same! Also – if you have a panini press or other grill press, you could easily create your grilled cheese using it!
Make sure you check out the rest of the amazing grilled cheese goodness from the Sunday Supper crew today!
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.