This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RotelDareToDip #CollectiveBias
Let’s get the Halloween party planning started, shall we??? If you know me, you know I LOVE everything Halloween! As soon as October hits, we break out the scary movies. Justin and I have a long standing tradition of visiting Halloween Horror Nights during the season (and have already visited this year – so fun!), and getting our yard set up for some spooky scenes too! Our set of skeletons are set up in new poses each year. We haven’t figured out exactly how to pose them for 2018, but I’m excited to get started! Anyway – when it comes to Halloween, that usually means parties!!!! Today, I want to bring you a fun idea for your Halloween spread – taco calzone mummies accompanied by some ghoulishly great dips!
Halloween party food = hand helds!
When it comes to party food, I always think hand held items are a great option. When the hand held items can also be shaped into a Halloween inspired shape? Even better! These adorably taco calzone mummies are very easy to make and will be a fun and festive food for your party table!
These calzones are a combination of two of my favorite foods: tacos and pizza! I decided to use pizza crust to create the mummy shapes, but when it came to fillings and dips, I wanted to steer away from the traditional Italian items. These calzone mummies are filled with a mixture of black beans, corn, bell peppers, RO*TEL® Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, and spices. You can truly customize your fillings to whatever your heart desires, but this particular combination is a favorite of mine! Of course, a calzone is not complete without a dip by it’s side! Today I have three easy to make dips that you can choose from! First, how about some guacamole guts for your mummy?
Devilishly hot salsa, anyone?
Or, you can cool your mummy calzone down with some ghoulishly good sour cream based dip.
Create in advance!
One important aspect of party planning is the ability to create items in advance! Speaking from my own experience, if I can prepare a large portion of my party food in advance it relieves a lot of pressure from me on the day of the party. You can easily make the taco calzone mummies in advance and simply reheat in the oven when it comes time for the Halloween party. The salsa and sour cream based dip can also be made in advance. The only dip I would recommend making just before your guests arrive is the guacamole guts!
RO*TEL® is a staple item in my pantry at home. It is a great way to add a little bit of a kick to any recipe! I personally enjoy the Hot variety, but I love that you can choose from Original, Mild, and Hot depending on the level of spice you like to achieve! The bold flavor of the diced tomatoes and green chilies really makes these mummy calzones and the accompanying dips pop! You can easily find RO*TEL® at Walmart in the same aisle as other canned tomatoes and vegetables!
Assembling the taco calzone mummies is a fun endeavor for your party prep! I like that no two mummies turned out exactly the same. I purchased pizza dough, then unrolled it into a rectangular shape. I cut the dough in half to create two squares. They don’t have to be perfect, so don’t worry about exact measurements! You could create one big mummy with the pizza dough, two medium sized, or even cut the pizza dough smaller to create mini mummies! It’s completely up to you! For this recipe, I used two pizza dough containers and created four mummies. The filling recipe is just enough to distribute between all four of the mummies equally!
Once the dough is cut into square-like shapes, place the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Scoop the filling in the center, leaving a 1-2 inch border at the top and the bottom, and about 3-4 inches on each side to create the wraps! Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut horizontal strips down the sides of the pizza dough, about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick (they do not need to be perfect!). Alternating sides, you stretch and wrap the strips across the filling to create the mummy wraps. I chose to leave some of the filling visible as I wrapped my taco calzone mummies, but you can completely cover your creation as well! If you want your taco calzone mummies to have a glossy shine to them, crack an egg into a small bowl and beat it with a fork. Use a brush to apply the egg wash lightly over the top of the calzones before baking in the oven!
Are you interested in trying these out for yourself? Click on the items below to shop at Walmart! And, I want to know – what are your favorite Halloween inspired recipes that you break out at your parties?!?!
And, I know you’re going to want even more Halloween recipes, so click here to get even more RO*TEL Halloween inspiration!
- 2 Pizza Crusts
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) corn
- 1 can (10 oz) RO*TEL® Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- As the oven preheats, make the filling. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil or other cooking oil to the pan with the garlic. Add the corn and bell pepper: saute 2-3 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, RO*TEL®, and beans. Stir/saute for 2-3 more minutes until heated through and the liquid in the pan is cooked down. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut each of the pizza doughs into two equal halves (approximately square shaped). Place the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Scoop the filling in the center (distributing between the 4 pieces), leaving a 1-2 inch border at the top and the bottom, and about 3-4 inches on each side to create the wraps. Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut horizontal strips down the sides of the pizza dough, about ¼ - ½ inch thick (they do not need to be perfect!). Alternating sides, stretch and wrap the strips across the filling to create the mummy wraps.
- If desired, whisk an egg with a fork in a small bowl and brush the egg wash over the calzones before baking to create a glossy shine on the mummies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the calzones are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool 1-2 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- 2 cans (14.5oz) Hunts diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (10oz each) RO*TEL® Hot Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- ½ red onion (about 1 cup) - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ whole lime, juiced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients into a food processor. Pulse about 15-20 times until ingredients are incorporated and blended to desired salsa consistency.
- Pour salsa into a sealed container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- ¼ cup RO*TEL® Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- Juice from ¼ lime
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Slice open the avocados and remove the pits. Scoop the flesh out and add to a bowl with the RO*TEL®, red onion, lime juice, and salt.
- Use a fork to mash the avocado mixture until it is at desired consistency (I prefer to have some avocado chunks remaining in my guacamole).