If you read yesterday’s post about Michelob ULTRA’s Light Cider, you might have noticed something else on the table along with the bottles of cider. Some brightly colored little snacks, perhaps…like these bacon lettuce avocado tomato spring rolls!
Those little wrapped up goodies, my friends, are BLAT spring rolls. And they are perfect for summer snacking.
I was originally inspired to create these by White On Rice Couple (which is a fantastic blog you should be following if you aren’t already). The recipe was for BLT spring rolls with a sesame-soy dipping sauce. It sounded great, but I thought I’d tweak it a bit with some more…Mexican flair, perhaps? Avocados were on sale at the grocery store…and I have a penchant for salsa as a condiment. So, I got to work! These little spring rolls are perfect for a summer snack: they are light and fresh, but with a salty crunch from the bacon and the creamy goodness of an avocado. Serve them up with a dollop of the salsa of your choice, and you’re good to go! Plus…they’re a cinch to make.
Bacon Lettuce Avocado Tomato (BLAT) Spring Rolls
***inspired by White On Rice Couple***
- 5 Rice paper wrappers
- Shredded (or finely chopped) lettuce
- 20 cherry tomatoes (or two small tomatoes), halved
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 Haas avocado, sliced thin
- salsa and sour cream, for dipping (optional)
- Arrange filling ingredients on a plate/tray. Fill a large bowl (wide enough to submerge rice paper wrappers in) with warm water for dipping.
- You will wrap each spring roll one at a time. To start, dip one rice paper wrapper in the warm water bowl. Submerge for no longer than 10 seconds. Lightly shake off excess water as you remove the wrap from the water bowl, then place on a plate/cutting board to fill/wrap.
- Immediately fill wrap. Place a generous portion of lettuce, about 1 slice of bacon, 4 cherry tomatoes (8 pieces), and 4 thin slices of avocado in the front ⅓ portion of the wrap.
- Beginning with the end closest to you, pull the rice paper wrap up and over the filling ingredients. Tuck in the sides, and continue rolling until completed. The rice paper wrap is slightly sticky, so it will seal itself around the fillings as you roll. Use a sharp knife to cut the spring roll in half, and place on a tray to serve.
- Serve BLAT spring rolls with a side of salsa (and sour cream) for dipping. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of the BLT combination? Do you prefer to add avocado, or are you more of a purist?