Did you know – we are smack dab in the middle of National Pizza Month! If you ask me, it’s cause for celebration. If I had to pick only one food to eat for the rest of my life, I would without a doubt, 100% choose pizza. I could eat pizza for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, even for dessert! The varieties are endless. Today the Sunday Supper family is sharing their favorite pizza creations, and I have a roasted garlic and spinach pizza with balsamic onions. Helllooo, delicious!
When it comes to pizza, are you on the thin and crispy side or the fluffy and chewy team? In my case, I adore a thin crust with a bit of char, especially when that means I’ve cooked my pizza on the grill. It’s actually pretty funny – I think the most common thing created on our grill is pizza. Not chicken, vegetables, hamburgers, or other items: pizza is our #1 choice. Justin has become quite the pizza maker, and has even made his own pizza peel by hand. I’m not joking. It’s in the pictures, people. HE MADE THAT!!!!
So, even though we make pizza on a very regular basis, the ingredients change almost every time. I tend to veer towards the classics – you really can’t go wrong with a margherita pizza. Tomato, basil, mozzarella…it’s the dream team. That, or I enjoy utilizing a few choice ingredients. Today, I wanted to create a roasted garlic and spinach pizza with balsamic onions.
If you haven’t roasted an entire head of garlic before, you must try it! The roasted, sweet, and savory taste it produces is amazing. Spreading it over a pizza dough adds an amazing flavor to your pizza crust! I can even just put it on a slice of crunchy crostini for an appetizer with a drizzle of olive oil. But I digress. In this case, the garlic complements nicely with the slightly sweet balsamic red onions. And you just cannot go wrong with spinach on pizza, am I right?
I think a lot more balsamic onions are in my future. It only requires a few simple ingredients to create, and the flavor is so amazing you’ll be reaching for slice after slice with this pizza. I think I’m going to need to add these onions to some more items in my kitchen…a grilled cheese…maybe in some macaroni and cheese…the thinking cap is on, people!!!!
This particular batch of balsamic red onions turned out even better thanks to my new knife skills. I had the absolute pleasure of attending a knife skills event with some of the Sunday Supper crew this week, and after practicing on a collection of onions (and potatoes…and herbs!) in the class, I was able to successfully slice my red onions EXTRA thin and perfect. I’m so glad I was able to acquire some new techniques to utilize in the kitchen. I mean…I thought I was holding my knife correctly…but NO! I had things to learn. I’m so thankful for every opportunity to master something new – we are never too old to acquire new talents and skills! Plus, it is always amazing to be able to connect in person with other bloggers. As much as we can be connected in real time online, face-to-face is always amazing!!!
Anyway, if you’re hankering for a new combination to try on your pizza pie…I’m going to suggest some roasted garlic and spinach pizza with balsamic onions. Try it out for yourself, and let me know what you think!!!!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 head garlic
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Pizza dough
- 9 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Pizza sauce (or diced tomatoes)
- First, make the balsamic onions. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced red onions and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the water, balsamic vinegar, and a generous pinch of salt. Cover partially and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the juices are cooked down (syrup-like texture). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (or preheat the grill).
- Carefully slice the top of the head of garlic off (so the cloves are partially exposed. Place on a sheet of tin foil and drizzle the additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with salt, wrap the garlic head in the foil, and place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cloves are softened and roasted (they should be a paste-like consistency when squeezed). Allow the garlic to cool, then gently squeeze the garlic bulb to remove the cloves.
- While the onions and garlic are cooking, heat a deep skillet over medium high. Add the baby spinach and saute until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the spinach to a colander or a towel - pat or wring until dry. Place on a cutting board and finely chop.
- Roll the pizza dough to desired thickness. Spread the roasted garlic across the pizza dough. Then, add a thin layer of pizza sauce (or add a layer of diced tomatoes). Top with the chopped spinach, sliced mozzarella, and balsamic onions. Sprinkle with salt, then place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the pizza dough is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven, slice, and serve: enjoy!
Make sure you check out ALLLLLLL the pizza goodness today!!!!
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Mini Pepperoni Pizza Frittatas by The Weekend Gourmet
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by Yummy Smells
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Blackberry, Basil and Ricotta Pizza by Authentically Candace
- Breakfast Platter Pizza by al2getherfit
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Enchilada Pizza by The Chef Next Door
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Smoked BBQ Brisket Pizza by From Gate to Plate
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Spinach, Chorizo, and Artichoke Pizza by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.