This week began the start of my holiday baking/treat making. Yesterday, my mom and I toiled in the kitchen to create some delicious candy treats. First up? Truffles. And not just any truffles…truffles with a kick.
Our friend Anne was kind enough to share the base for this recipe with me, so I had to give it a try (with a tweak or two of my own)! And I must say, they are oh so tasty – and very easy to make!
Chocolate Truffles with a Kick
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened (I use reduced fat)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ package (12 oz) Bakers semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup Bailey's Irish cream or Kahlua
- 10 Oreo cookies, or other chocolate sandwich cookies
- White chocolate (almond bark) for garnish
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add melted chocolate, vanilla, and Baileys, then mix well (add a little more powdered sugar if it seems too runny).
- Refrigerate mixture about 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-inch balls, rolling with your hands. Place each on parchment paper or wax paper.
- In a food processor, chop Oreo cookies into a fine crumb and pour into a pie plate.
- Roll each truffle in the Oreo crumbs to coat.
- Melt the white chocolate/almond bark. Dip the tines of a fork in the white chocolate, and drizzle across the truffles.
- Store truffles in the refrigerator. Makes about 5 dozen.
For our truffles, we decided to split the recipe in half. We made one 1/2 batch with Bailey’s, and 1/2 with Kahlua…just for some variety!
Happy Holiday treat making, everyone!
Do you have a favorite truffle flavor to enjoy?
If you’re looking for more delicious sweets…