I have to admit: Asian flavors are one of my biggest weaknesses. I can’t get enough of them. I absolutely love whipping up stir fry, lettuce wraps, and the like in my kitchen. The flavors, the multitude of fresh veggies…you can’t go wrong.
I was SO excited when Jaden Hair (of Steamy Kitchen) released her newest cookbook: Healthy Asian Favorites. The book is packed with recipes that are quick to create, are fresh in flavor, and easy enough for even novice cooks. I’ve already read the book cover to cover and marked many of the recipes for my to-try list. They are beautiful yet simple, and I can’t wait to continue trying them all out!
I’m beginning with Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups. I adore a good lettuce wrap, and these absolutely did not disappoint. You can serve these up as an appetizer/snack, or go big with them as an entree (which is what we did…yum)!
I loved how easy these wraps were to create: just a few simple ingredients yielded a ton of flavor. I doubled this recipe to make a large batch which would feed a group, but the recipe listed is perfect for a snack/appetizer sized portion. I highly recommend you try them out yourself!
And guess what – today I am giving away one of Steamy Kitchen’s cookbooks to one of my readers! To enter, follow these instructions:
Tell me what your favorite Asian dish is in a comment below!
The winner will be chosen randomly from the eligible entries. The winner will be notified via email. Note: Giveaway open for United States residents only. Contest ends on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4pm Eastern Time.
Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 1½ tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ pound ground chicken breast
- 2 shallots, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- Minced fresh chiles, Jalapeno or Fresno (amount up to you)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated into "cups"
- 1 handful of cilantro and/or mint, cut into chiffonade
- Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat. When hot, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the chicken. Use your spatula to break up the meat and spread out over the surface of the pan. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Push the ground chicken to one side of the pan and swirl in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. To the oil, add the shallots, red onion, garlic, and fresh chiles and saute the aromatics until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce.
- Serve with lettuce cups and herbs.
Reprinted with permission from Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites by Jaden Hair, copyright © 2013. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Disclaimer: I was provided with a copy of Steamy Kitchen’s healthy asian favorites for my review. All opinions are my own.
Make sure to check out the other Sunday Supper offerings from Steamy Kitchen this week!
Tofu-Mushroom Miso Soup
Crispy Rice Patties
Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups
Sake Steamed Mussels
Salmon Honey Teriyaki
Korean Beef Bites
- An Appealing Plan
- Hip Foodie Mom
- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Flour on my Face
We are sharing more Steamy Kitchen inspired recipes. The following Sunday Supper Contributors are joining us with some of their favorite recipes from the Steamy Kitchen website:
- Kung Pao Chicken by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prime Rib Roast with Miso au jus by The Urban Mrs.
- Kickin’ Tequila Shrimp by Gourmet Drizzles
- Korean Beef Rice Bowl by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Fried Potstickers by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Shrimp Curry by Ninja Baking