Sweet sweet strawberries – the season is still in full swing, and that is cause to celebrate! It also couldn’t come at a better time, seeing as today is Valentine’s Day! Bright red, juicy, and delicious strawberries are definitely a quintessential choice for this holiday, and incorporating them into dishes from breakfast to dessert seems like the right thing to do! Today the Sunday Supper family is sharing an array of recipes using Florida Strawberries, and I have a strawberry shortcake milkshake that I am pretty pumped to add into the mix.
Strawberry shortcake is such a classic dessert, and it happens to be one of my husband’s favorites to enjoy. We are lucky enough to live in Florida, where we are close enough to visit the Florida Strawberry Festival to enjoy an epic serving of strawberry shortcake each year. Biscuits are piled high with macerated strawberries and huge dollops of whipped cream. How can you say no? But why not take this mouthwatering dessert and turn it into a beverage…and maybe even lighten it up a bit while we’re at it?
This strawberry shortcake milkshake is packed with fresh, healthy strawberries (8 medium strawberries contains your entire daily requirement of Vitamin C!), frozen yogurt in place of traditional ice cream to lighten things up, and lowfat milk. Instead of a heavier biscuit or cake, it’s topped with a few light and airy squares of angel food cake! You get the same flavors of the dessert you know and love but in beverage form!
I could definitely slurp up one of these strawberry shortcake milkshakes as dessert, but I am also known for enjoying frozen treats as a mid-day snack. Because it’s Valentine’s Day, I might even add a second straw to my drink and share it with my sweet husband. That is if he doesn’t demand an entire milkshake for himself! Either way, we have a very sweet and delicious treat on the menu for the day today!
- 6 scoops vanilla frozen yogurt
- 8 fresh strawberries (medium sized)
- ½ cup lowfat milk
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Angel food cake (1 slice) cut into ½ inch cubes), for garnish
- Add frozen yogurt, fresh strawberries, and milk into a blender.
- Blend on high speed for about 30-45 seconds until all ingredients are combined. Add more or less milk to the mixture depending on the desired consistency of your milkshake.
- Pour into two glasses, top with whipped cream, and cubes of angel food cake.
- Sip, and enjoy!
Do you have favorite ways to incorporate strawberries into dishes? You can get inspired with so many diverse recipes on the Florida Strawberry Pinterest Board!
In addition, make sure you become a fan of Florida Strawberry on Facebook, chat with them on Twitter, see their snaps on Instagram, and see what inspires them on Pinterest. Strawberry Sue is also on YouTube and Twitter!
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Check out ALL of the scrumptious strawberry recipes being served up today!
- Sparkling Strawberry Sangria from Family Foodie
- Strawberry-Basil Spritzer from Eat Picks
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake from Ruffles & Truffles
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Banana Hazelnut Crepes from The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Herbed Strawberry Salad from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Waldorf Salad from Food Done Light
- Balsamic Strawberry Walnut Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil from Soni’s Food
- Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Plus: Nutritious Fresh Strawberry Recipes plus Strawberry Almond Milk from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.