Do you love spice? I don’t know about you, but I certainly do. If you are in the mood for a spicy (yet healthy) snack that will satisfy your craving for something crunchy, these spicy jalapeno chickpeas that I have to share with you today are just what you need!
I don’t know how it took me so long to realize how amazing roasted chickpeas are. Have you made a batch of your own? The process itself is simple, but there are SO many different ways you can change the flavors and spices to make them unique. Roasting them at a high heat in the oven transforms them, giving the chickpeas a crispy exterior that is so satisfying to snack on. When you add the spice of fresh jalapenos roasting alongside them, it is enough to make a spice lover cry…tears of happiness (or if you’re a wimp…maybe tears of spicy pain. Who knows).
It’s funny – when I first met Justin he had a very low tolerance to spice in food. We were quite the opposites when it came to our palates. I don’t know if his has just changed over time, or if he has simply adjusted…but nowadays he doesn’t mind some of the spicier dishes that I make. Whew!
I don’t know if I should laugh or feel really bad when I do it, but I have had some instances when I realized I am a TERRIBLE judge at how spicy a dish is. I’ll throw a dash of crushed red pepper into our pasta sauce as I’m cooking, or squeeze in some sriracha as I’m stir frying some veggies…I’ll chop up a jalapeno and throw it into our taco fillings, and then realize too late when I see Justin tearing up next to me because apparently I’ve made the dish to a level of severely scorching proportions. Who knew?!?! I’ll be sitting there, cool as a cucumber, wondering why he has steam coming out of his ears.
Anyways, back to the chickpeas! I love how this flavor combination turned out (I’ve previously posted a batch of roasted chickpeas with parmesan and garlic – also DELISH!) – it’s spicy, a bit smoky, crunchy, and satisfying! I much prefer these spicy jalapeno roasted chickpeas instead of a dish of beer nuts or other snack at cocktail hour. Another use for them? SALADS! This variety would be perfect on top of a taco salad in place of croutons for a crunchy addition! Try it out – you’ll thank me, I swear!
My last word of advice when it comes to these chickpeas is to make a large batch – it’s amazing how quickly you’ll see them disappear from the serving dish. You can store them in an airtight container and keep them for a day or two without losing the crunch!
- 2 cans (16oz each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas, then remove the skins. To remove the skin, pinch a chickpea between your thumb and index finger. The skin should slide off. Discard the chickpea skins, and add the chickpeas into a bowl.
- Toss the chickpeas in olive oil, cumin, chipotle powder lime, salt, and pepper until they are fully coated.
- Pour the chickpeas in a single layer on top of a sheet pan (option to use parchment paper to line it). Add the slices of jalapeno on top.
- Bake the chickpeas for 30-35 minutes until golden and crispy, shaking the tray halfway through to toss them. Remove the jalapeno slices before serving - enjoy!
If you’re a fan of spice, it’s your lucky day! The Sunday Supper family came together today to share a plethora of spicy dishes…so you should definitely check each and every one of them out!!!!
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip byCooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Jalapeno Cheddar Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa by Dash of Evans
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Spicy Peach Chicken Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cilantro Jalapeno Mojito by Manu’s Menu
- Shoo Fly Punch with a Kick by Our Good Life
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Peppercorn Shortbread by The Finer Cookie
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Devil’s Chicken by Monica’s Table
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Kung Pao Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Tunisian Garlic Chickpea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Easy to Make Cabbage Kimchi (MAK KIMCHI) by kimchi MOM
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board
I love spicier food than my hubby does and honestly I think he’s less tolerant of it now than he used to be. Your lucky that Justin seems to be liking it more. LOL I LOVE my spicy food 🙂 These chickpeas look delicious!
I will turn him into a spice lover somehow! Perhaps I’m just scorching off his tastebuds one at a time…haha
Yes, cumin, lime and chipotle powder. That’s the best combo. Me too, I’m a terrible judge of spiciness. Love your photos. And crunchy chick peas are one of my favourites. Have you ever tried roasting lentils? I toss them with olive oil, cinnamon and white pepper.
I agree – it’s one of my favorite combos for cooking!
I can never seem to make any dish spicy enough for my husband, it’s actually annoying! I have to try these because we’d both love them.
My husband is the same way! I put crushed red pepper on everything and douse sriracha on stir fry and he’ll be tearing up. I love chickpeas, these sound like a perfect snack! I love to have a mason jar full of them while I’m working at my desk.
I am so into roasted chickpeas right now. I’ve been using them as croutons in salads and they are terrific! I cant wait to try your version.
Love roasted chick peas and your flavor combination sounds absolutely perfect! Thanks of sharing 🙂
Love the cumin lime and salt combination! Found this chickpea recipe on SpiceDiscovery and read some of you other recipes…loving your blog.
This would be a great snack to have around. I could see a bowl of it out for a cocktail party too.
YUM! Send these on over!
[…] Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas for #SundaySupper – Helpful Homemade says: May 9, 2016 at 10:09 am […]