Well folks: Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and it is time to talk sweet treats.
Today the gang at Sunday Supper are sharing their favorite treats (sweet AND savory) to enjoy on Valentine’s Day. For me, it was too tempting NOT to make a sweet, so I gave in. Valentine’s Day is one of those occasions when I find it perfectly acceptable (and encouraged) to splurge a bit on something decadent.
Justin and I have stayed in for a dinner/dessert at home for the past few years. The restaurant scene tends to be so packed and stressful on that day, so I try to make a special meal at home (and pop open a nice bottle of wine and bubbly with it).
Here’s the thing: I don’t want to spend hours on end in the kitchen on Valentine’s Day. I want to spend time with Justin! So, if my dessert treat involves a few little shortcuts, that is just fine with me. Anything that will reduce my prep time is a win. In this case: I employed the help of a store bought brownie mix and some caramel sauce instead of creating them from scratch. You can certainly go the homemade route on both of these items, but hey: I am not above going the semi-homemade path every once in a while. Plus: Ghirardelli makes a pretty kick-butt brownie mix.
My favorite desserts almost always involve chocolate, so these mini Samoa bundt cakes should come as no surprise. And, it just so happens that a little Girl Scout came knocking on my door the other day…which made me think about Samoa cookies. As far as Girl Scout cookies go, the Samoas rank up there as my favorite (next to Thin Mints), and as I wait for my box to be delivered, I decided to take the same flavors and make my mini Samoa bundt cakes. Done and done.
Also – there is something special about mini sized food, am I right? I created these mini bundts with the assistance of a mini bundt brownie pan, but if you don’t want to go out and buy one of those, you could create circular brownies by using a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter.
In addition, I substituted natural applesauce in place of the oil in the brownie mix to lighten it up slightly. Have you tried this before? It works! If you don’t have applesauce, you can sub the oil for pumpkin puree too. Although it won’t make the brownies completely guilt-free, they do make them “reduced guilt” in my eyes! And I’m all about that.
Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes
- 1 brownie mix (and ingredients required to mix it)
- 1-2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 4 tablespoons caramel sauce (approx)
- Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions and bake in mini bundt pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Allow brownies to cool, then gently remove from the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat and sprinkle a thin layer of coconut on the bottom. Stir occasionally to keep coconut from burning. After about 5 minutes or so, the coconut will start to toast/turn a golden brown hue. Make sure to keep gently stirring the coconut, and remove pan from heat once the shreds have reached the desired color. Set aside until you are ready to serve the bundts.
- To serve, place a bundt on a plate and drizzle the top generously with caramel sauce. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top, and then add a final drizzle of caramel on top to help set it in place. You can serve these warm or at room temperature...add a scoop of ice cream on the side to add extra deliciousness - enjoy!
Make sure you check out the other delicious recipes from the group at Sunday Supper!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Banana Cream from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Ruffles & Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan