Coffee and I have a complicated relationship. For most people, it seems like coffee is a daily ritual. Mornings begin with coffee – it fuels the rest of the day. It makes you happy. It keeps you energized. Me…well…I don’t really drink coffee on a regular basis. I don’t know if I just never got around to getting addicted to it when I was younger, or if I just never had a great cup of coffee that started the loving relationship…but I just never craved it in the morning. I think it mostly stemmed from the fact that I really don’t enjoy hot beverages (I don’t drink tea either…not even much of a fan of hot chocolate…I know – I’m an odd duck). But here’s where things get complicated. I LOVE the smell of coffee. I love blended coffee drinks. I love coffee ice cream. Do you see where I’m going here? For me, coffee is more of a dessert item, and I’m totally ok with that. It is a bit of a treat for me, so to say. And today’s recipe is just that: a delicious coffee treat of frozen goodness in the form of a cold brew affogato.
Have you ever experienced an affogato? Traditionally, an affogato is made with vanilla gelato and a shot of hot espresso. I remember the first time I was presented with one. I think I went to coffee dessert heaven. Now, whenever I see an affogato listed on a menu, you KNOW I’m going to order it.
Ok – so here’s the conundrum when it comes to making one of them at home. I don’t have any form of coffee maker. Nope. No espresso machine, no coffee maker, not even a French press. Nothing. I know – I’m probably the one person in the world who doesn’t have a coffee-related machine in her house. But wait! Cold brew is the answer!!!!
It seems like all of a sudden cold brew has been exploding on the scene. Every coffee place I see offers it now. You can even buy it at the grocery store. This is great for me, because I can purchase a small bottle and keep it on hand in my fridge for those days when I want a little shot of coffee goodness. For someone who doesn’t drink coffee on a regular basis, cold brew has been a big friend to me: the fact that it is not brewed with heat makes it less acidic, and I tend to enjoy the flavors a bit more! AND the fact that cold brew is just that…cold…it is a great addition for an affogato.
The process of making a cold brew affogato is so simple, it almost isn’t a recipe…but let me tell you, folks…if you haven’t had one yet, you will adore this tasty delight. It’s an afternoon sweet treat or a great dessert option after dinner. You can get creative and find flavor combinations you enjoy – you can go with a classic vanilla gelato or ice cream, or get a little crazy like I did and pick out a vanilla and salted caramel swirl gelato to mix in. So, get on it – make a cold brew affogato as soon as humanly possible! And thank me later.
- 1 scoop gelato (I used vanilla caramel swirl)
- 1 ounce cold brew coffee
- Scoop desired amount of gelato into a glass (I suggest one scoop slightly larger than a golf ball).
- Pour the cold brew coffee over the top.
- Sip, stir, and enjoy!
Don’t miss out on alllllll the amazing coffee recipes being shared today for Sunday Supper!
- Bulletproof Coffee My Way by Monica’s Table
- Caramel Turtle Mocha Frappe by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Latte by Meal Planning Magic
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Espresso-Glazed Coffee Cake by Tramplingrose
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Best Tiramisu Ever by Positively Stacey
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Espresso Cheesecake by The Chef Next Door
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Perk Me Up Chili by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
- Ultimate Coffee Rubbed Burger by Foodtastic Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.