Squash, squash, squashy squash squash. I don’t think I can ever get enough. Summer squash, winter squash, squash any time of the year. Spaghetti squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, butternut squash…should I continue??? I could be going overboard at this point.
I didn’t eat a lot of butternut squash as a kid, but have grown to love it in adulthood. I adore the sweet flavor and the bright orange color. Simply roasting it in the oven and topping it with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon is a treat…but I wanted to take it to another level with my dish today. I’ve had a hankering for a panini for a while now, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to utilize my beloved butternut in a new way.
This sandwich is crunchy, smooth, melty, savory, and sweet all at the same time. It even won Justin over (who was skeptical about putting butternut squash puree in a sandwich). I am quite sure this recipe will be used over again…it was certainly a winner in our home! It is a great sandwich to whip up if you have leftover butternut squash from a dinner, which was the case with me! I had roasted a whole butternut, but Justin and I didn’t manage to eat the entire squash in one sitting. With only a few small scoops remaining, it was the perfect amount for my sandwich filling. Score!
Not that I’m surprised by this, but I also have to mention the brie…yeah. Putting the oh so melty and creamy brie inside a grilled cheese/panini is seriously an awesome choice in my book. I juuuuust might have to utilize some for a Thanksgiving leftover panini – what do you think?
Do you have a favorite grilled cheese/panini ingredient combination?
Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese
***makes 1 sandwich***
2 slices sourdough sandwich bread
3-4 tbsp roasted butternut squash puree
1/8 lb brie cheese, sliced
3 slices cooked bacon
1 tbsp butter, for outside of bread
1. Lay two slices of bread on a clean working surface. Spread the butternut squash puree on one side of one slice of bread, about 1/4 inch thick. Top the butternut squash with bacon and brie slices.
2. Place the second bread slice on top to create a sandwich. Spread a thin layer of butter on the outside of the top piece of bread.
3. Place the sandwich on a panini press or George Foreman grill, with the buttered slice down on the press. Spread a thin layer of butter on the outside of the top piece of bread now face up on the grill. Close the press and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted (about 4 minutes).
4. Remove sandwich from press, slice in half, and serve. Enjoy!
Make sure you check out the other squash recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.