Let’s talk about bacon. It’s beloved by many, that is for certain. In the past just the mere mention of bacon on a menu item would most likely entice me to order it. I could eat bacon with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. For Sunday Supper this week, we’re sharing oh so many recipes that feature bacon! Now…I know what you’re thinking: “ummmm Katie….you’re a vegetarian. What in the world would you be doing with bacon?” I realize it seems absurd. But my friends, there is a magical little thing in this world known as coconut bacon, and I am going to show (and tell) you alllllll about it today!
I’ve been a vegetarian for years now. At first, I would have told you the meat I missed most was bacon. There was just something about it that I had a feeling I would be sad to leave behind. Needless to say, I got over it, but being able to create something meatless that brings me back to the flavor of bacon was something that I absolutely could not pass up.
I had been hearing about coconut bacon for quite some time now, and I knew I just needed to jump in and create some in my kitchen to see if it lived up to the hype. I mean, the curiosity alone was enough to get me to put all of the ingredients together. It only requires a few ingredients, a couple of minutes in the oven, and bam! Meatless bacon…aka coconut bacon. It’s a thing.
Although it isn’t technically bacon, this coconut bacon brings out similar flavors in comparison to the “regular” version. You get some salt from the tamari, sweet from the maple syrup, and hickory flavor from the liquid smoke. I was always the person who wanted SUPER crispy bacon, so these thin shavings of coconut give you that satisfying crunch. When you pair everything together on this toast, it is pretty much breakfast, lunch, snack…WHENEVER perfection.
I mean, can you really go wrong with anything that involves avocado? Nope. Creamy avocado, sweet grape tomatoes, salty and crispy coconut bacon (oh, and don’t forget the drizzle of balsamic glaze either) – it’s a flavor and texture home run in my book. You could even add an egg on top for brunch perfection. As I’m writing this, I’m seriously ready to run back to the kitchen and make another one with a fried or poached egg. Oh boy.
If you don’t want to use all of your coconut bacon at once, the good thing is that you can store it in the refrigerator for a few days in a sealed container OR freeze it for even longer! You’ll have the ability to make coconut bacon creations on demand. Score. This particular recipe will make enough for about 6 pieces of avocado toast, so you can always double or triple the recipe to make extra for later!
So…I’m curious – would you be willing to try out the vegetarian version of bacon? Or, if you have experienced coconut bacon in the past, what did you think?
- For the coconut bacon:
- 1 cup shaved coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- To serve:
- Multigrain bread
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the coconut flakes, tamari, liquid smoke, and maple syrup together in a bowl until combined. Spread into an single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, turning about halfway through until the coconut bacon is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool - it will crisp up even more as it cools.
- To make the avocado toast, toast slices of multigrain bread until golden brown. Top with thinly sliced avocado, about 5-6 grape tomato halves, a generous sprinkle of coconut bacon pieces, and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve, and enjoy!
Of course, don’t forget about all of the amazing bacon recipes being shared today for Sunday Supper!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
I have had vegetarian bacon, but only that bought in stores. I love this idea and am definitely going to try it out as well as share it with my mom who is a vegetarian! Thanks for sharing Katie!
Yay! I love how simple it is to make…hope you guys enjoy it!!!
What a great idea! I have all those ingredients… I can’t wait to try it. Love avocado toast too and your pics are beautiful. I can’t wait to explore you site.
Thanks Denise!!! I love how quick and easy it is to whip up a batch!
Wow! Genius! I totally want to make this! Thanks for sharing! Can I substitute soy sauce for the tamari?
Absolutely you can sub soy sauce for tamari! Should work just the same I would imagine – I just happen to have tamari on hand typically!
I love everything about this “bacon.” No funky ingredients pretending to be meat. I could eat this coconut bacon by the handful 🙂
I’m with you! I always think it is funny that people will assume that I just eat tofu or those fake “chicken” or “beef” substitutes. I very very very rarely do! This is much more up my alley!
This idea is insane! Thanks for sharing it and confirming it’s legitimacy. So glad you still found a way to participate in the bacon event.
I HATE to try this coconut bacon. It sounds amazing. Actually, I just need to make this entire thing. Yep…must do very soon.
I LOVE avo toast, but have yet to try coconut bacon! This flavor combo looks and sounds amazing! Trying soon 🙂
It really looks like something my whole family would enjoy.
I love everything about this “bacon.” No funky ingredients pretending to be meat. I could eat this coconut bacon by the handful
That avocado toast with coconut bacon looks absolutely fantastic. Beautiful photos, too. I look forward to trying this.
I eat avocado toast A-lot. Like at least every other day! It’s my favourite brunch or lunch. Love the texture from the crispy coconut bacon here!
Yesss you had me at COCONUT BACON! I need this for breakfast as soon as possible.
I’m a big fan of coconut flakes and avocado (obviously), and so this sounds like a perfect quick breakfast! I love it when really easy things are so satiating and delicious too.
I mean, this looked good, but it was GOOD. I could have eaten it all straight off the tray. Rad recipes as always ❤️
[…] Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon for #SundaySupper – Helpful Homemade says: August 14, 2016 at 11:52 am […]
[…] Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade […]