Sometimes, it is fun to go back to the classics. There are so many retro dishes out there…ones that take you back to your childhood…ones that just never seem to change with time.
The team at Sunday Supper is taking on retro recipes this week, and there were so many ideas I had to choose from. I think back to when my mom made “porcupine balls” and tuna noodle casserole. Definitely the flavors of childhood! However, there is a retro dish that I have been dying to make, with a fun little spin on it.
I present: She Devils. They are beet pickled deviled eggs. If you like deviled eggs and pickles, you’ll like these. Plus, they’re really pretty, don’t you think? The process to make the She Devils is not much different than regular deviled eggs…you simply add one step at the beginning to get them to this pretty pinkish purple hue.
The next time you decide to whip up a batch of deviled eggs for a get-together, think about making this version to take your regular, run of the mill deviled eggs up a notch! They are so pretty, and I bet your guests and friends will be asking about them.
She Devils – Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- Juice from a 16 oz jar of pickled beets
- 1¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use mayo made with olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (any variety is fine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl (I used a Rubbermaid Take Along container so it could be sealed), combine the juice from the jar of pickled beets, cider vinegar, water, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. If a few of the pickled beets fall into the mixture, it is ok!
- Add the deviled eggs, seal the container, and place in the refrigerator for 10 hours. If you would like the eggs to have a smaller ring of pink, remove them from soaking earlier!
- When the eggs have marinated, remove from the pickling juice and place on a cutting board. Slice each egg in half lengthwise, then gently remove the yolks with a spoon and add to a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mustard, as well as a few cracks of pepper and a pinch of salt to season. Mash with a fork until combined and smooth.
- Scoop the finished mixture into the cavities of the eggs where the yolks were removed. Also, you can add the yolk filling mixture to a ziplock bag, seal it, then cut a small opening at one of the bottom corners. Use the bag like a piping bag and swirl the mixture into the eggs. Enjoy!
Check out the rest of the retro recipes for Sunday Supper this week!
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts