Ok…who is ready for a frozen treat? The summer season is still here, so I think it is time to indulge in some cool deliciousness. Today, the sweet dessert I’m sharing is a mash up of two of my favorites…melded together to create a coconut macaroon ice cream pie!
For those of you who don’t know me, there is something important to know right off the bat: frozen yogurt and ice cream are essential elements in my life. I’m incapable of ending my day without indulging in at least a few bites of creamy dessert goodness, ESPECIALLY during these steamy, humid months. But here’s the thing: sometimes JUST a bowl of ice cream won’t cut it for me. Sometimes I want more. Enter: my second dessert obsession. Coconut macaroons. There is something so wonderful about a toasty, sweet, and slightly chewy coconut macaroon. Extra points if it also includes chocolate in some way. You may have seen them before: I happen to have a favorite toasty coconut macaroon recipe, drizzled with chocolate!
Now for the kicker: smash my two favorite desserts together and you get a coconut macaroon ice cream pie! I mean, who can resist cookies and ice cream together? When I first created this pie in my kitchen, I was worried it wouldn’t work as well as I imagined it in my head. However, the crunchy yet chewy cookie crust paired with the creamy ice cream (and whipped topping) is definitely delicious. I couldn’t help but cut extra large slices for myself. Oops. The pie was demolished in record time…but I can’t say I was surprised about it.
The nice part about this pie is that it is completely customizable. I used vanilla frozen yogurt for mine, but a different flavor combination could be just as awesome! I’m thinking a chocolate ice cream version would be pretty delectable, or maybe even my current favorite flavor: pistachio. You could even use the macaroon batter to create individual sized pies if you prefer. Oh, the possibilities! I hope you think about trying this out for yourself if you happen to be a macaroon enthusiast like myself – you won’t be sorry…
Do you have a favorite pairing/mash up for your ice cream?
- 7 ounces shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ gallon vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream
- 6 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 3 ounces shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the sweetened coconut (7 ounces for the crust, and 3 ounces for the garnish) in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast the coconut in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. When the coconut is golden brown, remove from oven and allow it to cool completely (you can also place it in the freezer/fridge to speed the process). Keep the oven at 350 degrees F, as you will need it for the pie crust.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on high speed for 5-7 minutes until stiff peaks form. Then, add the vanilla and salt. Next, use a spatula to fold 7 ounces of toasted coconut into the mixture.
- Thoroughly cover the inside of a pie plate with cooking spray. Then, add the coconut macaroon mixture to the pie plate. Use your spatula to press the batter into the bottom and up the sides of the plate evenly to form the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool completely.
- To assemble the pie, remove ice cream/frozen yogurt from the freezer and allow it to rest on the counter for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Scoop ¼ gallon of the ice cream into a large bowl and add the mini chocolate chips. Use a spatula to stir the mixture together. Scoop the ice cream mixture on top of the cooled coconut macaroon crust and spread it evenly inside. Place back into the freezer for at least 10 minutes to allow the components to set.
- Finally, to complete the pie, top with whipped topping and the additional shredded coconut. Slice, serve, and enjoy!