Well, it is officially fall, and it is officially the season for everything PUMPKIN!
Yes, I am one of those pumpkin flavored fanatics. I can’t wait to get my hands on pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin ravioli…you name it: if it has pumpkin involved, I’m probably going to want some of it. Although…I have to admit – I am not the biggest Pumpkin Spice Latte fan (gasp!) – I tend to order the salted caramel latte or frap instead. SO good.
Annnnyway, one of my favorite flavor combos with pumpkin is chocolate, so creating these brownies seemed completely natural. These rich, fudgy brownies are paired with the hint of pumpkin spice. And speaking of pumpkin spice, have you tried the new Pumpkin Spice M&Ms? They are PERFECT for baking, and the subtle pumpkin flavor is unique. I’m really digging them lately.
I also want to point out the awesome OXO products I used when creating my brownies. This year, OXO is donating up to $100,000 to support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Since the start of September, if you purchase any specially marked OXO baking tools, 25 cents is donated towards Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Measuring cups/spoons, icing knives, cookie spatulas, and even the awesome brownie spatula pictured are included (a personal favorite item, if I say so myself. It serves the perfect portions, and is sharp enough to cut the brownies as well). You can look for the items at participating retailers, or on the OXO site itself!
Another awesome aspect of the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer program with OXO is that they are donating $100 for every blog post dedicated to the campaign in September. I know I’m coming in at the wire, but I could not pass up the opportunity!
So…pumpkin lovers unite! Try out a pan of these fudgy pumpkin goodies when you get the urge to bake next time…
What is your favorite pumpkin flavored item to enjoy in the fall?
Pumpkin Spice Fudge Brownies
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons natural applesauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pumpkin Spice M&Ms, to top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 inch pan and set aside.
- Crack eggs and beat lightly. Add cocoa, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and applesauce. Beat to combine.
- In a microwave safe dish, combine butter and sugar. Melt on low power, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves into the butter (don’t let it get hot enough to bubble though). For my microwave, it took 2.5 minutes at power level 3. Alternately, you could melt together the butter and sugar with a double boiler on the stove.
- Add butter/sugar mixture to the egg/cocoa mixture, and beat to combine. Gradually add the flour and pumpkin pie spice to the mix. When the batter is combined, gently fold the dark chocolate chips in.
- Spread batter evenly into greased pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. About halfway through the baking process, sprinkle the Pumpkin Spice M&Ms on top of the brownies - when they are partially cooked the candies will not sink to the bottom of the batter! Allow brownies to cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in a sealed container, or serve immediately. Enjoy!