Have you ever tried a prickly pear?
On a recent trip to the farmer’s market, I spotted a box filled with prickly pears (aka cactus pears) being sold 3 for $1.00. The curiosity was far too strong for me NOT to spend one dollar on them for a little kitchen experimentation.
Especially if I could create a tasty beverage perfect for a summer barbeque party…which is what we’re having with the gang of Sunday Supper today!
Anyway, as soon as I got the prickly pears home, I started researching different recipes I could create with them…and how to prepare them. The method is pretty simple: slice the top and bottom off of the prickly pear to start. Then, you cut a slit lengthwise through the rind and peel it off. You’ll be left with the “pear” portion. There are small, hard seeds in the fruit that are technically edible, but for the purpose of creating a cocktail, you want to remove them. Slice the cactus pear into pieces and place in a blender/food processor. Pulse the processor until fruit is a liquid consistency.
Next, you place a mesh strainer over the top of a container/bowl. Pour the pulsed prickly pear liquid into the strainer and allow liquid to strain through, leaving behind seeds and pulp. Discard the seeds/pulp, and keep liquid for recipe use! I found that each prickly pear yielded about one ounce of juice, which is enough to make two margaritas.
I’m definitely a fan of the flavor of prickly pears – they have a really fresh taste to them…I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but the freshness reminds me of cucumber when mixed into a margarita like this one. Perfect and refreshing for summer, don’t you think?
Have you tried a prickly pear before? What did you think if so?
Prickly Pear Margaritas
- 3 ounces tequila blanco
- ½ ounce triple sec
- 1½ ounces lime juice
- 1 ounce prickly pear juice
- 1 ounce cranberry juice (approximately)
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Combine tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and prickly pear juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds.
- Pour margarita mixture into two glasses filled with ice. Add a splash of cranberry juice on top of each. Garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out the other awesome recipes from the group at Sunday Supper today!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler: