There are some snacks and sweet treats that are just ridiculously addictive. For me, puppy chow (aka muddy buddies) is one of those delights. There is something SO AMAZING about the crunch of the cereal, paired with the chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Drool.
Now, puppy chow is traditionally made with peanut butter and chocolate melted together. And I love that combination, don’t get me wrong. It is glorious in so many ways. But I got to thinking: what about….Nutella??? I mean, why not? I was too tempted to NOT try out a chocolate and Nutella combination with puppy chow. The results? Oh so very good.
You pretty much will have to wrestle the bowl of puppy chow away from me if you want to get your hands on this batch. It’s mine. All mine. I can eat it by the handful, but I also love sprinkling it on my ice cream at night. It makes a glorious crunchy topping (seriously: try it yourself – I wouldn’t steer you wrong)!
Are you a fan of puppy chow?
Nutella Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Crispix cereal
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- large paper grocery bag, for shaking
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips gradually. I melt the chocolate in 20 second blasts, stir the chocolate, and continue heating until chocolate is smooth. Stir the Nutella into the melted chocolate.
- Add the Crispix cereal to the bowl with chocolate and gently fold together with a spatula. Try to break as few cereal pieces as possible!
- When the cereal and chocolate/Nutella mixture are combined, scoop the powdered sugar into the bottom of a clean paper grocery bag. Pour the cereal mixture into the bag, then roll up the top to seal it shut. Stand outside and shake the paper bag to distribute the powdered sugar onto the cereal pieces (maybe 20-30 bag shakes). Be careful when you open the bag - a puff of powdered sugar is likely to emerge! Pour into a bowl/sealed container for storage. Enjoy!