It’s funny how the holiday season works. We’re all geared up for Halloween in October, and as soon as November 1st rolls around, it’s allll about Thanksgiving! It might be the fact that the temperature here dropped from around 80 on Friday to the 60s on Saturday, but I totally have the upcoming Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. season on my mind. And that is precisely why I am bringing out a simple, light, and delicious side dish to the blog today: honey ginger glazed carrots.
The Sunday Supper family is coming together today to share some lightened up holiday recipes, and for me that is just perfect. Admittedly, I can get into some of the holiday season’s indulgences. Who doesn’t like a slice of pie, a huge dollop of mashed potatoes, and other goodies? But in the past few years I have found myself not as excited due to the heaviness of it all. It’s not that I want to kick all of those flavors to the curb, but I want to find a way to enjoy them without feeling like I have to work out extra hard to justify it all. There are so many fresh and flavorful options to balance everything out, thankfully!
….like these honey ginger glazed carrots. When I was younger, my mom would always make these yummy baby carrots as a Thanksgiving side dish. I always called them “honey carrots,” but come to find out, they were just cooked with brown sugar and butter…not honey. My childhood: a lie. Haha!
Well, I decided to make those honey carrots a reality for this lightened up Sunday Supper, with ACTUAL honey this time! I removed the sugar, reduced the butter, and added fresh ginger for an extra kick of flavor. And because I love ginger. I adore honey as well, and it pairs so nicely with carrots! I just might have to help myself to an extra large portion, especially if these make an appearance again at one of our Thanksgiving tables this year. However, I would definitely make these at any time of the year for a delicious side dish!
Do you have a favorite holiday recipe that you’ve lightened up?
Check out all of the recipes from the Sunday Supper family today –
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears, and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potatoes by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Wasabi Mustard by Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- The Best Blondies by Wallflour Girl
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Individual Cheesecake Bites by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.