Last week, you may have noticed me tweeting about a contest I was taking part in. Fabio Viviani was holding his first Kitchen Academy challenge, and I’m happy to say the results are in – and I won! Thank you to everyone who “liked” my entry on Fabio’s Pinterest account. I appreciate you all!
Anyway, I couldn’t just submit the entry for my parmesan, basil, and bacon hasselback potatoes and not provide you with the recipe and instructions, now could I? Never fear: I’ve got it for you today as I celebrate.
I had seen hasselback potatoes before, but have I made them? Nope. I have always been drawn by the beautiful presentation…the accordion folds…the crispy edges…they looked irresistible! Fabio’s challenge was to create a dish using the following five ingredients: potatoes, basil, olive oil, eggs, and parmesan cheese. And my hasselback potatoes were then born.
As for the texture? Think of scalloped potatoes mixed with crispy baked ones. The outside edges get a nice crisp crunch to them, but the insides are tender and soft. And you can’t go wrong with the addition of garlic, bacon, and cheese….and basil. The process is actually simpler than I thought, and the presentation is definitely eye-catching. They’d look perfect on a holiday dinner table, but are easy enough to create on any regular day. You can create your own spin with the toppings too, if you desire!
Now…go get yourself the ingredients to try these bad boys out at home. And if you’re interested in getting creative in your kitchen, visit Fabio’s blog to see the five ingredients for the next challenge!
Parmesan, Basil, and Bacon Hasselback Potatoes
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 egg
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 set wooden chopsticks
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and peel the baking potatoes. As you peel, slice one long side so it will lay flat. Place peeled potatoes on a cutting board. One at a time, set the wooden chopsticks lengthwise on either side a potato (they will serve as a guard so you won't slice all the way through the potato). Use a sharp knife to slice each potato crosswise, about ¼ inch apart for each slice.
- When you finish cutting each potato, place each into a bowl of cold water. When you are ready to cook the potatoes, gently fan them open while running under water. Dry each potato thoroughly and place in an oiled baking dish (or you can use cooking spray).
- Drizzle the potatoes with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Then, in a bowl, whisk the egg and remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil together. Brush lightly over each of the potatoes, making sure to get some in the cracks and covering the potatoes thoroughly.
- Slice the garlic cloves into thin pieces, then place the slices between every few fans of the potatoes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until the potatoes turn crispy and golden, with soft flesh. Remove from oven.
- To serve, top each potato with 1 tbsp each of parmesan and basil, and one slice of chopped bacon. Enjoy!
Have you tried a hasselback potato before?
Congratulations! You absolutely deserve to win! These potatoes look amazing, beautiful photos and who can say no to all these ingredients? I love hasselback potatoes, they are the only way I make “baked” potatoes now!
Yuuuuuuuuum!!! I’ve never made them either but I’m inspired to now. Congrats on the win!!
YOU deserved that win. Beautiful and delicious entree. I can’t wait to hear about your conversation w/ Fabio! Congrats!!
Haha, thanks friend! 🙂