I have a feeling no one is going to be surprised to see the salad gracing my blog today. I have been on an enormous caprese kick lately, and today is no exception.
Today’s Sunday Supper involves recipes inspired by Sara Moulton. She is going to be speaking at the Food & Wine Conference later on this month in Orlando (so excited!), and I was lucky enough to get my hands on her book: Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners. It is filled from front to back with so many inspiring recipes, and I love the concepts she embraces (appetizer for dinner…five-ingredient mains…etc.). When it came to selecting my inspiration, I really didn’t have to think very hard; I knew exactly which recipe I would create in my kitchen. She calls it “A Summer Salad from Paris” in her book, and she mentions how she and her sister-in-law make this salad for lunch during the summer months.
I know why Sara says she can eat the salad every day. Because I could too. It’s not only delicious, but it is SO easy to make! I prepared this plate for me, Justin, and my parents earlier this week, and it received rave reviews. To be honest, I wasn’t sure what was the star of the dish…it was my parents’ first time tasting one of our heirloom tomatoes from the garden (and their flavor is awesome, can I just say that?)…but it was also their first time experiencing avocado in a caprese salad.
There is something so perfect about the flavor and texture combination of this dish…you simply have to make it yourself. There is creamy, there is salty, the basil adds some sweetness…your plate will be wiped clean in no time. Sara’s recipe doesn’t call for balsamic on top…but I made the executive decision to add it to mine. Perhaps I’m just addicted to the drizzle.
And guess what? I happen to have a copy of Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners to give away to one of my readers today! The giveaway is for US residents only, and you are only able to win one cookbook among the giveaways offered via Sunday Supper. Make sure to enter with the Rafflecopter widget below. If you’re confused on how to use Rafflecopter, here’s a quick video tutorial! Good luck everyone!
Caprese Salad with Avocado
***Inspired by Sara Moulton’s A Summer Salad from Paris***
1 large ripe beefsteak tomato (I used an heirloom Mr. Stripey tomato)
4 oz fresh mozzarella
1 ripe Hass avocado
10 fresh basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Cut the tomato into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange slices on a plate/platter. Peel and slice the avocado into thin wedges and arrange them evenly over the tomatoes. Layer the basil leaves on top of the avocado (I like my leaves whole, but you could also shred/chiffonade them if you prefer). Next, slice the mozzarella into pieces about the same thickness as the tomato, and layer a slice on top of each tomato piece.
2. When the layers are completed, sprinkle a generous pinch of Kosher salt and cracked pepper over the salad. Then, drizzle gently with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze. Dig in, and enjoy!
Make sure to check out all of the other recipes inspired by Sara Moulton today! Many of the others are giving away copies of her book as well…so increase your chances by visiting them!
Follow Sara Moulton and her recipes on www.saramoulton.com | Facebook |Twitter
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere
This is art on a plate, Katie. And a healthy one to boot. Bravo!
Thanks for the kind words!!!
Caprese salad is one of our favorites. I love Sara’s addition of avocado. And your balsamic drizzle is a pop of color and flavor, Katie. Just beautiful! No wonder your family loved it.
I must really be on a balsamic kick lately…I’m adding it to as many things as possible, haha!
I love the addition of avocado! Caprese is one of my favorite summer salads.
Mine too (although that doesn’t come as a surprise)…but only recently! I used to not eat raw tomatoes…they would have to be cooked for me to enjoy them. I was missing out! 😉
So pretty, Katie! I love Caprese Salads!
You know, I’ve never tried avocado in a Caprese salad, either…but I love both, so I’m sure that I’d adore them together. This looks fantastic!
It was one of those things that makes you go – “why haven’t I done this before!?!?!”
Can y’a;; say yummy in the tummy? I love avocado and this salad looks delish! Thanks for stopping by.
The only thing that could make caprese better is avocado. Great choice!
Simple chicken salads are one of my favorite “every day meals”. So simple but delicious!
There really isn’t a better salad to celebrate summer. Using heirloom tomatoes at their finest plus fresh basil is the bomb! The added oomph from the avocado is brilliant too.
I am going to be seriously sad when my garden runs out of my heirlooms! They’ve been such a fun and tasty thing to have in my kitchen…
Yep, when I saw that salad in the book, I was thinking I could eat it every single day, too! Your plating and photos is just gorgeous. Almost too pretty to eat…but only almost. Give me a fork, and I’d eat that whole plate 🙂
Haha, that was kind of the comment that was happening at our table – it’s so pretty! It’s a shame to mess it up….ah, but someone has to…
My favorite every day meal is a toasted tuna salad sandwich with fresh tomatoes, cilantro and olives.
Caprese salad is a summertime favorite! Adding avocados seems so obvious! Need to make this tonight!
Try it – you won’t be disappointed!
My favorite everyday meal is garden salad topped with grilled chicken breast
I could definitely live off of those myself!
This is such a beautiful salad. I love the colors and the flavors here.
Thanks so much!!!
There is always room for a good caprese salad in our table.
Oh yeah, this is my kind of salad. I love the addition of the avocado. Yum!
This just screams SUMMER! So easy and delicious!
I LOVE caprese anything!!! I have also been eating caprese salads and sandwiches for the past 2 days. . love!! one of my absolute fave foods/dishes!
Mmmm a caprese sandwich…I haven’t made one of those in a while – must put that on my to-do list!
That is a beautiful plate of deliciousness! Love all the ingredients. Yum.
That heirloom tomato looks droolworthy. The best part of summer is when tomatoes are in season. What a great way to feature them!
That balsamic glaze looks so good I can taste it. Beautiful.
One of my favorite dishes of the summer!!! Beautifully done!
I love to grill a chicken breast and throw it together with a salad with blue cheese crumbles! Perfect and easy for everyday eating!
My everyday meal to make at home would be Chicken Milanese. It’s commonplace to always have the ingredients on hand. I also make a lemon butter sauce with shallots to go with it.
I came very close to making this for #SundaySupper, and I still will soon! I love the addition of avocado. I have been reducing so much balsamic recently that I just decided to buy a bottle of the glaze of the store today. I have a feeling I will now be using it more than ever.
I totally hear you! I had to start buying the glaze because it was just too time consuming to reduce every other time I wanted it!
Caprese salad is always my go to because it is so delicious. The addition of avocados sounds amazing!
I never would have thought of the avocado, love that idea!
My favorite everyday meal is spaghetti and meatballs or BBQ’d chicken
Pasta is our everyday go-to! So fast, so easy, endless variations
Caprese salad avocado is good for health and really easy to make at home kitchen for every Mother & Chef.
Easy Sketch Pro Crack