Leading a healthy and fit lifestyle is definitely something I strive for in my household. Not only is exercise/staying active an important element of our week, but the food we serve at our family table is a huge consideration. Today, I’m sharing what has become one of our favorite healthy meal options in my home. These quinoa bowls with grilled vegetables and corn salsa are customizable, fresh, and full of flavor. Won’t you dive in? One of the common misconceptions I hear from people when it comes to eating “healthier” is that it is expensive. I totally hear what they’re saying, but I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be a pricy endeavor! My biggest tip when it comes to shopping for fresh produce is to keep an eye on what is seasonal. If you are purchasing veggies and fruit that are in season, they will be at the lowest prices in comparison to veggies that are out of season. Right now, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans are in an abundance in my neck of the woods…so most of my meals include them! In the fall and winter, I tend to see a lot of butternut squash, spaghetti squash, apples, and more. For me, it is fun to get creative with what is fresh. Don’t feel restricted by eating seasonally! And if there happens to be a vegetable or fruit that isn’t in season or at a reasonable price for your budget, check out the frozen section of your grocery store! My local store tends to have awesome BOGO sales, and I always end up picking up frozen edamame, peas, and corn to have on hand. …on to the recipe! I have a deep love for burrito bowls, but eating one every night of the week is probably not the most creative meal in the world. Therefore, I love coming up with different spins on the classic that offer new flavors and ingredients. These quinoa bowls with grilled vegetables are brightly colored, full of flavor, and are fun to put together too! Now, if you haven’t fully dived into the quinoa trend, you can always serve your veggies on a bed of rice. If you’re just slightly ready to test out quinoa, there are some nice brown rice/quinoa blends on the market I’ve tried and are a nice introduction for those who aren’t sure they’ll enjoy a full bowl of quinoa. Baby steps…baby steps. I personally ADORE quinoa – it is gluten-free, contains protein, and has an awesome texture. It’s great served cold or hot…it’s so darn versatile! Ok, I’ll stop declaring my love for quinoa now. For this yummy Sunday Supper, all you have to do is fire up your grill, dress your veggies and cook them, then plate them perfectly on top of your quinoa with a scoop of corn salsa. These quinoa bowls are vegetarian as-is, but you could very easily add a meat or fish of your choice to the mix. We’ve added grilled mahi mahi in the past, as well as chicken and pork tenderloin. Options, options….
Are you a fan of “bowl” creations for a healthy dinner?
- 5 oz quinoa or brown rice/quinoa blend (uncooked)
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper (orange or yellow also work)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn salsa
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Cover and set aside as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat (around 500 degrees F). Slice your zucchini and squash on the diagonal, about ½ inch thick (to allow for maximum grill contact). Drizzle with olive oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Toss/stir gently to coat all sides of the vegetables.
- Grill vegetables for about 5-6 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from grill and on to a serving plate.
- To complete your dish, add a scoop of quinoa to the bottom of your bowl, then top with ¼ cup of corn salsa and the grilled vegetable slices. If desired, you can sprinkle some fresh parmesan cheese on top to finish! Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
Don’t miss out on the other amazing offerings today for Sunday Supper!
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
Salads and Healthy Snacks
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.