This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FlavorYourSummer #CollectiveBias
I know that summer doesn’t “officially” start until the middle of June, but the temperatures here in Florida are in the low 90s already, so I’m going to go ahead and announce that summer is here for me! There is something so wonderful about summertime – it seems celebratory. The sun is out, kids are out of school for a few weeks, people are heading to the beach and pool, and everything seems to be a little more relaxed. Quick and easy meals are always a plus, as I want to maximize my time with my friends and family. One of my favorite meals to put together is pizza: you can’t go wrong with a classic! And speaking of classics, finishing off a meal with some frozen custard…or more specifically: zucchini bread ice cream sandwiches with frozen custard is the perfect way to cap off dinner.
Thankfully, there are options to keep meals quick and easy in the summertime. Being able to pop a pizza into the oven and have it ready in a short amount of time alongside a fresh garden salad is fantastic, and my friends and family definitely enjoyed slices of DIGIORNO® pizzeria!™ Thin Crust Pizza – Supreme Speciale, as well as the Spinach & Mushroom variety. The crust is crispy on the outside but soft and airy on the inside, which is the perfect combination in my opinion.
I appreciate that they do not use any artificial flavors as well. It is going to be a much faster process to pop one of these pizzas in the oven instead of ordering out, plus it is going to be much more affordable. Win-win! It’s a great option to consider to feed a group, and with a few different flavor varieties to choose from, everyone will be satisfied! I am able to continue on with my summer fun without worrying about slaving away in the kitchen. Although I love doing that at times, it just isn’t practical every single day!
As much as I’d love to chow down on pizza alone, I have to save room for dessert as well. A frozen treat is just what you need on a hot summer day. Today I’m turning a fresh baked chocolate chip zucchini bread into a scrumptious ice cream sandwich. Oh yes.
I was able to easily find my DIGIORNO® pizzeria!™ Thin Crust Pizza and my EDY’S® Frozen Custard at Walmart in the frozen foods section. One quick trip was all I needed to acquire everything for my table.
I love zucchini bread all on its own. It’s great for breakfast or for a sweet snack. But it gets taken to another level when you sandwich a creamy, delicious scoop of EDY’S® Frozen Custard in Old Fashioned Vanilla between two slices. Their new frozen custard is ice cream’s creamier cousin, is made with fresh milk, and contains no artificial colors or flavors. This stuff is dreamy, I’m telling you! I am such a sucker for anything that brings back memories of living in Wisconsin and enjoying frozen custard. I am happy to enjoy it all on its own, but enhancing it takes it up another notch. The Old Fashioned Vanilla is seriously scrumptious when it’s paired with fresh baked zucchini bread – I’m telling you!
My suggestion is to make a big batch of zucchini bread muffins – use some of them for ice cream sandwiches, and then enjoy the rest for breakfast another day. At least, that’s what I would do! Of course, that requires you to have leftovers…and if everyone enjoys them as much as I do, you might be left with an empty plate!
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 large or 3 medium squash)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir together to mix. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine sugar and butter. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until softened butter and sugar are incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, then mix well. Then, add the shredded zucchini and vanilla and beat until fully combined.
- Turn your mixer to low speed, then begin adding the flour mixture by heaping spoonful to the wet mixture. Continue adding scoops of the flour gradually until all is used and the batter is thick.
- Turn off the mixer and gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into muffin pans (either with cupcake liners or a pan coated with cooking spray), then bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from oven and allow to cool. When cool, use a serrated knife to slice open a muffin through the middle (separate the top from the bottom). Add a scoop of vanilla frozen custard to the bottom of the muffin, then add the muffin top back on to complete the sandwich. Enjoy!
Do you have any go-to meals and desserts you like to put together in the summertime? Which variety of pizza would you choose to make at home?