I adore the holiday season. The last few weeks of each year are always filled with warm fuzzy feelings, quality family time, and fun! I definitely cherish this time of the year; it’s an opportunity to celebrate, and even indulge a little bit. That’s where these sour cream coffee cake donuts come into play.
Today, the Sunday Supper family is getting together with Gallo Family Vineyards to share memorable holiday meals and traditions. My family happens to have a few of them that I look forward to each year. First: our Christmas Eve dinner. It has become a tradition for us to stand in the kitchen, eat appetizers, pour glasses of wine, and work together to make homemade pasta for dinner. It can be a time consuming process (and it might take longer because we are talking, laughing, and goofing around), but the end result is always an incredibly satisfying and delicious meal that I can’t wait to sink my teeth into. Some years it is linguine or spaghetti, some years it is ravioli; we love trying out new combinations, fillings, and more!
But when it comes to Christmas morning, it is all about brunch! Instead of eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Christmas, my family likes to stick to brunch fare a little later on in the morning. I absolutely love this, as it is a rare occasion that I get to enjoy brunch. And when I do I usually tend to stick to healthier options, even when I long for indulgent dishes. But when it comes to the holidays all bets are off: bring on the pastries!
I have been dying to make homemade donuts for quite some time, and they are the perfect brunch fare for the holidays. These sour cream coffee cake donuts in particular are pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself. I love coffee cake, but rarely create it in my kitchen; I need to be able to feed a crowd if I make a large cake. So, I decided to shrink down that coffee cake into a more manageable form: donuts! The final results are handheld, sweet, fluffy, and will be hard for you to resist when you place them on your holiday table. If any of them manage to last past the breakfast/brunch hour, they make a great dessert option as well.
Of course, it wouldn’t be the holidays without a bit of wine involved (and brunch is a great time for it)! These sour cream coffee cake donuts are even better when paired with one of Gallo Family Vineyards’ limited edition seasonal wines – the Holiday White Blend! This wine brings forth hints of crisp green apple and sweet caramel. If you are a fan of Gallo Family’s Moscato, this is the wine to try! It is a fantastic match for these donuts, as the flavors pair nicely with and array of desserts. If you’re looking for a red wine, consider the Holiday Red Blend, which offers hints of juicy mixed berries and chocolate (and would be a great choice for those who enjoy Gallo Family’s Merlot).
So – do you have memorable holiday meals and traditions with your family and friends? What are they?
- For the donuts:
- ¾ cup ultra fine sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- For the streusel
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- For the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the sugar, butter, and vanilla on medium speed until fluffy. Add the egg, beating well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Gradually add it to the sugar and butter mixer, along with the sour cream. Beat until blended.
- In another bowl, mix the streusel ingredients with a fork until blended.
- Add about a tablespoon of streusel into the bottom of a nonstick donut pan greased with cooking spreay. Add batter on top, filling the wells about ⅔ of the way full with the batter. Add an additional sprinkling of streusel on the top (an additional tablespoon).
- Bake for about 11 minutes, until the donuts spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove from the oven and allow the donuts to rest before removing them from the pan.
- Mix together the ingredients for the glaze, then use the tines of a fork to drizzle the glaze over the top of the donuts. If desired, you can dunk the donuts directly in the glaze to fully coat the tops.
- Serve, and enjoy!
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for more ideas and updates. Want to incorporate Gallo Family into your Sunday Supper menu? Here is a $1 off digital coupon for Gallo Family wines to get you started.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Make sure you check out all of the amazing memorable meals created by the Sunday Supper family today!
- Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Donuts by Ruffles & Truffles
- Spiced Apple Monkey Bread with White Wine Caramel by Curious Cuisiniere
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Pastry by Family Foodie
Memorable Main Dishes:
- Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue by Shockingly Delicious
- Curried Turkey Salad by Magnolia Days
- Glazed Ham with Red-eye Gravy by Nik Snacks
- Holiday Braised Short Ribs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Delightful Desserts and Sweets:
- Berry Chocolate Mocha Mousse Dessert by Flavor Mosaic
- Caramel Apple Turnovers by In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate Mousse Cups by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fudgy Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Desserts Required
- Italian Wine Doughnut Cookies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pound Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Chocolate Cookie Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Life Tastes Good
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Wine Caramel Apple Compote by Feed Me, Seymour
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snowballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.