It’s the first week of Sunday Supper in 2013, and we’re tackling items off of our recipe bucket lists! It is the beginning of the year, so why not start it by tackling something you’ve always wanted to create in the kitchen? Today, I’m taking on Popcorn with truffle oil and asiago cheese.
It took me some time to think about what kind of recipe I would take on for this particular challenge. There are so many different recipes I’ve wanted to challenge myself with over the years. However, I wanted to start the year off right with a combination of a “bucket list” item and a resolution of sorts for 2013, Good combination, right?
One of the things I’m hoping to accomplish in the kitchen for 2013 is to make more “simple items” homemade. I want to make an effort to make my own tomato sauce instead of jarred sauce…make my own salsa instead of pre-packaged. One of my favorite snacks of all time is popcorn. I go through a ton of bags of microwave popcorn. Why don’t I make it myself?
Thankfully, I was gifted with a hot air popcorn popper for Christmas, and my quest for fresh popcorn was one step closer for me. I was thrilled to have the hot air popper so I could get fresh popcorn without the oil and butter. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t add to my popcorn. So – I bought a canister of white popcorn kernels (P.S. if you live in an area with Publix, they canisters of kernels go on BOGO – around $5 for two packages, which will be much more quantity than the microwave bags for the same price) and got to work. I know for a fact that I will be creating new and amazing flavor combinations as time goes on. As much as plain popcorn is awesome on its own, adding some simple “fixins” to the bowl is a taste treat.
This combination is seriously my new addiction. I’m not kidding when I say addiction. I may or may not have made a bowl of this popcorn 3 times in the past week. Don’t judge me. First of all – the truffle oil spritzer is key. I have recently become a huge fan of the flavor of truffle oil. I found a spritzer bottle of white truffle oil at HomeGoods and knew it would be perfect for popcorn. As the popcorn spills out of the hot air popper, I spritz the kernels with the truffle oil and a pinch or two of salt.
And then – the kicker. The popcorn is wonderful with the truffle oil and salt. However, add a sprinkle of fresh grated asiago cheese?!?!? The tangy zip of the asiago mixed with the rich flavor of the truffle oil is such a taste treat. You have to do this. Seriously. Don’t walk…run to your nearest store with a hot air popcorn popper and buy one for your kitchen. You can thank me later.
Popcorn with Truffle Oil and Asiago Cheese
- ½ cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- White truffle oil
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh grated asiago cheese
- Pop the popcorn kernels according to hot air popper instructions into a large bowl. If you don't have a hot air popper, you can also use microwave popcorn (not buttered - plain, and dump contents into a large bowl).
- As the popcorn is dispensing into the bowl, spritz lightly with truffle oil and a few small pinches of salt. Toss gently to combine thoroughly. When popcorn is finished dispensing, top with grated asiago cheese. Enjoy!
Make sure you check out the other amazing bucket list recipes from the Sunday Supper contributors!
Sunday Supper Specialty Breads:
- Homemade Bagels with Mimosa Spread by Daily Dish Recipes
- Homemade Tortillas by Supper for a Steal
- Brioche by Gotta Get Baked
- Alton Brown’s Soft Pretzels by Hezzi-D’s Book and Cooks
- Braided Challah by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Belgian Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-free Bread by Happy Baking Days
- Monkey Bread by Vintage Kitchen Notes
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Butter Chicken by The Meltaways
- Gluten Free Ravioli by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Bagna Cauda and Potatoes by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Wellington by Family Foodie
- Green Chili and Lentil Tamales by Mangoes and Chutney
- Mushroom Ragout over Creamy Polenta by Noshing with the Nolands
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Ropa Vieja by Magnolia Days
- Tah-Dig (Persian Rice) by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Fresh Ravioli with Ricotta by Comfy Cuisine
- Stuffed Artichokes by The Roxx Box
- Braised Short Ribs by The Messy Baker blog
- Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon by Hip Foodie Mom
- French Onion Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leaping Frog Chicken by The Urban Mrs.
- Fried Polenta with Spicy Tomato Relish by Mama Mommy Mom
- Savory Spinach-Filled Crepe Cake with Cheddar Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese-Style Prosperity Pockets & Goat Cheese En Croute by Ninja Baking
- San Antonio Puffy Tacos by Sustainable Dad
- Chinese Dumplings by My Cute Bride
- Falafel by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Creamy Lemon Fudge by Chocolate Moosey
- Zebra Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Faux Ice Cream with Bananas by Country Girl in the Village
- Divinity by Juanita’s Cocina
- Homemade Seafoam Candy by girlichef
- French Macarons by I Run for Wine
- Mocha Macadamia Trifle with Mascarpone Cream by The Foodie Army Wife
- Nut and Seed Nougat by What Smells So Good
- Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting and Dulce de Leche Drizzle by Damn Delicious
- Chocolate Meringue Cake (gluten free) by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Gluten-Free Golden Fudge Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Orange Rum Tiramisu Cake by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Peanut Sesame Honey Brittle by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Granola Bars with Dried Fruit by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Jamaican Blue Drawers by Lovely Pantry
- Mini Classic Key Lime Pies by In the Kitchen with KP
- Donuts: Redux by Kelly Bakes
- Hot Lemon Curd Soufflés by Food Lust People Love
- Popcorn with truffle oil and asiago cheese by Ruffles & Truffles