I don’t know about you, but when it comes time for the big game and big game parties, I am all about the food. Getting together with friends and family for a game day gathering is so much better when fantastic finger foods are involved. For today’s Sunday Supper with Gallo Family Vineyards, I am bringing a big bowl of Kicked Up Texas Caviar for all to enjoy!
Texas caviar has been served at my house ever since I can remember. My mom would make a big batch every year for New Year’s Day since it is filled with black eyed peas (for good luck), but now it has become a favorite dip for parties. It is so easy to put together, it’s filled with bright colors, it features different textures, and it pleases a crowd every single time. I love that I can put together a batch of Texas caviar the night before the big party, and simply pull it out at game time to serve with a big bowl of tortilla chips.
But for as many times as I’ve served Texas caviar at parties, it is time to kick it up a notch and change it a bit. And that is occurring with the addition of one of my all time favorite foods: avocado. Adding chunks of creamy avocado was JUST what this favorite dip of mine needed to kick everything up another notch. I’m hooked.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a party without the addition of wine. For this Kicked Up Texas Caviar, I suggest pouring a glass of Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sauvignon Blanc. It is light bodied and crisp, with flavors of honeydew, citrus, and apple. It’s a great companion for salads, seafood, and pesto. It’s a refreshing choice to sip alongside this delicious dip!
Not that I’m anticipating you’ll have any leftovers, but if you happen to have some Texas Caviar in the bowl after the big game party is over and done with, it can really show its versatility with other dishes. I highly recommend adding a big scoop to a bowl of fresh greens; it is a wonderful salad topping that will have you ready for lunch in a split second.
Need some tips for hosting the big game at your home? Check out Gallo’s advice. Looking for food and wine pairings for your Supper Bowl? Gallo has you covered with their pairing suggestions. If you are looking for even more football finger foods, make sure to check out Gallo’s selection of recipes as well! And if you’re interested in seeing last year’s entertaining pairings from Sunday Supper, check them out on Gallo Family’s blog.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, see their snaps on Instagram, and watch their videos on YouTube for more ideas and updates. How will you incorporate Gallo Family into your Sunday Supper menu?
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
- 1 (14oz) can black eye peas, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels (if using frozen, thaw before using)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper (either green or assorted colors), diced
- 5 tablespoons Italian dressing
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Combine black eye peas, corn, tomato, green onion, garlic, and bell pepper in a large bowl. Toss gently to mix well. Pour Italian dressing over the mixture and carefully stir to coat.
- Cover and marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. Texas Caviar is best if left overnight!
- Before serving, drain excess liquid that accumulates, gently stir in cubed avocado. Serve Texas Caviar with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Make sure you take a look through all of the wonderful recipes the Sunday Supper family has created below. We hope you’ll bring along some of your favorite recipes and wine pairings this week as well!
- Bacon and Cheese Pretzel Bites by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Bison Burger Sliders by Nosh My Way
- Baked Southwestern Eggrolls by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Fries by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Baked Arancini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chorizo Cheese Dip by Casa de Crews
- Cuban Sandwich Sliders by Recipe for Perfection
- Everything Bagel Breadsticks & Smoked Salmon Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Kicked Up Texas Caviar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mini Mexican Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Chicken Meatballs with Queso by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip by Family Foodie
- Pizza Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Crostini with Mushroom Sauce by Brunch with Joy
- Rosemary White Bean Dip by Magnolia Days
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza by The Messy Baker
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings and Onion Rings by Nik Snacks
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Meatballs by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.