I don’t know about you, but I truly love recipes that involve only a few ingredients. Just because they aren’t complicated with an endless list of components does not mean they are any less amazing. Sometimes the best dishes (to me) are the simple ones.
Today the Sunday Supper crew is definitely embracing that concept. All of the recipes in today’s round up include FIVE ingredients or less! Who doesn’t want to take advantage of that amazingness?
I have a secret to share: I have never liked deviled eggs very much. I would eat one or two every once in a while when they were served at holidays, but the filling was never a favorite component of mine. It probably isn’t a surprising realization: I’m not a fan of mayonnaise. But what if there was no mayo involved in the recipe? And it involves avocado…one of the loves of my life? I’m on board with that concept, 100%.
I’ve perused variations of guacamole deviled eggs on various sites, so I did draw some inspiration from what I’ve seen in the past. However, when it came to whipping up my own batch, I gathered my ingredients and tasted as I went along to determine the ratio that worked for me. What resulted was an awesome guacamole style filling…that made me LOVE deviled eggs.
Now – you have to make the filling for the eggs right before serving…since you’re dealing with avocado, you don’t want the mixture to oxidize and turn brown. Luckily, the mixture is quick and easy to create, so you shouldn’t have any problems! The only problem I had was that I didn’t have enough of the eggs – they were gone from the platter in the blink of an eye! I know I will be making these eggs again, and that is a HUGE statement…coming from this deviled egg disbeliever!
Have you tried any non-traditional variations on deviled eggs?
Guacamole Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 3 Hass avocados
- Juice from about ¾ a lime (a whole lime if it isn't super juicy or if it is small in size)
- Salt, to taste
- Green onion, diced for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Prepare hard boiled eggs and allow them to cool. Remove shells from the eggs by gently tapping the two ends on the counter to release the pressure in the shell, then run the egg under cold water as you peel.
- Slice eggs in half lengthwise, then scoop out the yolks. Set 4 of them aside for the filling. Arrange the whites of the eggs on a platter, with the yolk "wells" facing upward.
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocado, the 4 reserved egg yolks, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Mix until smooth.
- Use a spatula to scoop the filling mixture into a quart sized plastic zipper bag. Carefully snip a small corner off of the bottom of the bag, then twist the top to push the filling down toward the opening (like a frosting bag). Pipe the filling into the wells of the egg whites. Garnish with diced green onion and a cilantro leaf. Serve, and enjoy!
***Note: I happened to have some beautiful ripe cherry tomatoes from our garden, and I added a small round slice to the top of each deviled egg. It was a nice addition of color, but not required!
Make sure you check out ALL of the recipes from the Sunday Supper crew with five ingredients or less!
Appetizers, Salads and Starters
- Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Tuna, Burrata and Black Olive Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon and Cucumber “Noodle” Salad from girlichef
- Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip from Melanie Makes
- Tomato, Avocado, and Cucumber Summer Salad from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Fennel Citrus Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Ruffles and Truffles
- Tomato Soup from Run DMT
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad from Neighborfood
- Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Caviar from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Side and Accompaniments
- Candied Apple Jelly from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Ricotta from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Indian-style Roasted Cauliflower from kimchi MOM
- 3-Ingredient Beer Bread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub from Cooking Chat
- Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto from La Bella Vita
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast from Nosh My Way
- Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken from Flour On My Face
- Lemon Basil Carbonara from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Garlic Butter Shrimp from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Stroganoff from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Smothered Pork Chop Cups from Having Fun Saving
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Supper for a Steal
- Chicken with Olives from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Chicken Burgers from Country Girl In The Village
- Potato Pancakes (Reibekuchen) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken from Our Table for Seven
- Chorizo and Potato Frittata from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups from The Dinner-Mom
- Spaghetti Squash with Simple Red Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Tropical Salsa Chicken from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Strawberry Red Wine Glazed Salmon from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Asparagus and Eggs from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Short Rib Bourguignon from Food Lust People Love
- Beans and Egg Sandwich from Basic N Delicious
- Honey Almond Salmon from Family Foodie
- BBQ Foiled Chicken from Meal Diva
Dessert and Beverages
- Flourless Chocolate Cake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- 4-Ingredient Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sweets from Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Honey Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles from URBAN BAKES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Squares from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Nutella Ferrero Cupcakes from Brunch with Joy
- 5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Best Ever Coconut Macaroons from Hip Foodie Mom
- Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Orchid Panna Cotta from Manu’s Menu
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Fudge from Alida’s Kitchen
- Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Vanilla Pudding from Magnolia Days
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bites from The Weekend Gourmet
- Coconut Cream Mango Mousse from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cherry Chip Cookies from Ninja Baking
- Raspberry Pina Colada Ice Cream from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Avocado Milkshakes from The Texan New Yorker
- The Ginger Sass Cocktail from Nik Snacks
- Baked Custard Cups from Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.