There is something ridiculously glorious about the combination of gooey cheese and toasty, golden brown bread. Grilled cheese: it’s a classic sandwich that pretty much everyone can love! The beauty of this dish is that it can be simple and straightforward, or pumped up a notch with the addition of extra ingredients! In my case, I like to add a few mix ins to my grilled cheese sandwiches, and this grilled cheese with spinach and roasted red peppers is currently making me drool.
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I have to admit: it makes me want to celebrate in my kitchen. So, I gathered up a few of my favorite flavors and combined them to put together this oh so delicious sandwich creation. It wasn’t difficult to come up with the ingredients, as I am on a spinach and roasted red peppers kick lately. I constantly have them on hand in my kitchen, so it seemed a natural combination. When you add in two types of cheese – white cheddar and havarti – it comes together to create the perfect bite.
Is there anything better than executing a perfectly golden brown crisp on the outside of your grilled cheese? The crunchy outside, the gooey inside contents: I’m drooling just thinking about it! What is great about this grilled cheese with spinach and roasted red peppers is that it also brings both savory and sweet flavors. The salty and savory bread and cheese is contrasted nicely with the sweet roasted red peppers. This grown up grilled cheese is a sophisticated bite in my book!
Of course, when you have a fancy grilled cheese, a glass of wine to go with it is essential! Today the Sunday Supper family is partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to bring you some epic grilled cheese sandwiches paired with Gallo Family wine! When it comes to my grilled cheese with spinach and roasted red peppers, I suggest Gallo Family Vineyards’ Pinot Grigio. It is refreshing and crisp, with flavors of green apple, white peach, and citrus. This dry white wine makes a lovely pair with the vegetables in the sandwich. Plus, I always enjoy a cool glass of wine to contrast with a toasty, warm sandwich straight off the griddle! However, if you are looking for a red wine option, Gallo’s Pinot Noir is one to reach for! It is medium bodied and dry, with a smooth and light finish that shouldn’t overpower the flavors of your grilled cheese!
- 2 slices bread (I used sourdough)
- 2 ounces sliced Havarti cheese
- 2 ounces sliced white cheddar cheese
- ½ roasted red pepper, sliced
- 8-10 leaves fresh spinach
- Butter or olive oil, for grilling
- First, heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Next, layer half of the cheese on one slice of bread. Layer the strips of roasted red pepper and leaves of spinach on top. Place the remaining pieces of cheese on top, followed by the second slice of bread.
- Lightly spread butter or brush olive oil on the outside of the sandwich before placing it in the heated skillet.
- Cook the grilled cheese sandwich on the first side until golden brown on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Then, flip the sandwich over and continue to cook until both sides of the sandwich are golden brown and the cheese inside has melted. Remove from heat, slice, and enjoy!
If you are looking for more grilled cheese inspiration, make sure you check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog post!
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines and menu pairing ideas, visit their website (where you can also find a store locator). Get connected with Gallo Family on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, see their snaps on Instagram, and watch their videos on YouTube for more ideas and updates.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Make sure you check out all of the delectable grilled cheese recipes and wine pairings today!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.