Today’s post is sponsored by Arla Dofino, but my love for their naturally delicious cheese is all my own!
Let’s talk about comfort food. There are a few classic dishes out there in the world that bring me back to childhood, and no matter how old I get I will still enjoy them. One of those items happens to be grilled cheese. You can’t beat the crunchy bread, the gooey cheese, and the overall deliciousness. So today I bring you one of my new favorite combinations: a grilled cheese with caramelized onions, spinach, and artichokes.
I am ALL about a grown up grilled cheese, layered with a few extra goodies between the bread slices to create a twist on the classic. There are so many options to consider, but when it came to putting together an epic lunch, I knew exactly what to do. My tastebuds were asking for a spinach and artichoke dip between slices of bread, and that is just what I decided to create.
These ingredients combine to really take the classic grilled cheese up a few notches in my book! Let’s start with the staples: the incredibly gooey and wonderful Arla Dofino Havarti cheese was essential. It melts beautifully and is the perfect choice for an epic grilled cheese sandwich. And can we talk about the Eureka! Organic Bread?!?! I especially enjoy it for the chewy texture that turns perfectly crunchy when toasted, and the seeds coating the crust are fantastic.
As for the extras to kick it up a notch, you can’t go wrong with caramelized onions! I personally like to make a huge pan of them at once and save the leftovers in the refrigerator (if there are any, that is…) to use on other dishes. The sweetness of the onions pairs oh so well with the spinach and marinated artichokes. When all of the components come together in a toasty, melted sandwich, you have to resist the urge to roll your eyes back in bliss. I’m not going to lie: that’s what happened to me. I had to restrain myself from devouring the entire sandwich in 10 seconds flat. Yep.
Do you have a favorite ingredient combination for grilled cheese? What do you include?
- 2 slices Eureka! Organic Bread (I used Saaa-Wheat!)
- 2 slices Arla Dofino Havarti cheese (or 2 ounces, shredded)
- ⅛ cup caramelized onions
- 8-10 leaves fresh spinach
- ½ marinated artichoke heart (I used 2 quartered hearts), sliced
- Butter or olive oil, for toasting
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, set out one slice of bread. Place 1 ounce of Havarti cheese on the bread, followed by the spinach leaves, the caramelized onions, and marinated artichokes. Place the second ounce of Havarti cheese on top, then add the second slice of bread on top to complete the sandwich.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter or oil in the bottom of the skillet. Swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the sandwich and cook for 4-5 minutes, until bread is toasted and golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich and continue toasting/cooking the sandwich until the cheese is melted and the other slice of bread is golden, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, slice, and serve. Enjoy!
So, do you want to know more about the oh so delicious Arla Dofino cheese? I’m here to tell you more! The Arla Dofino brand of cheese includes a delicious range of family-friendly cheese types such as Havarti and Gouda. Their cheese is free of added hormones, artificial flavors and preservatives, and crafted with quality, natural ingredients. I know I can get on board with that!!! Arla Dofino cheeses have been traditionally crafted in Wisconsin for more than 100 years. And as a previous resident of the state of Wisconsin, I know how good cheese can be when it originates there. Oh. So. Good. In addition, Arla Dofino cheese is available in slices and chunk form. You can shred it or slice yourself, or purchase pre-sliced cheese. You can locate it in the deli section of most stores.
Arla Dofino is available in a variety of retail stores nationwide. For more information click here.
As for Eureka! Organic Bread – make sure you try it out as well! You won’t be disappointed. Their bread is bursting with rich flavor and chewy goodness. It’s available in three varieties: Grainiac, Saaa-Wheat, and Seeds The Day. Eureka! Oreganic Bread is available in a variety of retail stores nationwide. To find a location near you visit the product locator.
Want to talk about grilled cheese? Join in on the #GooeyGoodness Twitter party on Wednesday!
How the Twitter Party works:
• Login into Twitter on Wednesday, April 8 from 8-9pm EST
• Follow @ArlaDofino, @TwoPeasandPod and @FoodieCrush
• Search for the hashtag #GooeyGoodness
• Join the conversation! Tweet using #GooeyGoodness so others see your comments
Anyone who participates in the Twitter Party has a chance to win one of two grand prizes: the ultimate Grilled Cheese prize pack, including:
• Le Creuset® Sandwich Press
• Le Creuset® serving tray
• Le Creuset® plates (set of 4)
• Crate & Barrel OXO® Fish Spatula
• Anthropologie Apron
• Year’s worth of Arla Dofino cheese & Eureka! Organic Bread