Labor Day is just a little bit over a week away – oh how time flies! Are you currently planning your Labor Day celebrations? Labor Day always seems like one of those holidays that is filled with fun. Since it falls right around the start of the school year, I always thought of it as a bit of a celebration for the end of summer. Of course, now that I live in Florida my summertime weather is not planning on leaving any time soon. However, the beginning of September is when I can typically look forward to a reduction in humidity around these parts! With that comes the Floridians’ time to emerge from our air conditioned homes and head outside to enjoy a bite to eat. So, to celebrate Labor Day, I’m bringing along some deconstructed egg rolls to the fun filled Sunday Supper feast!
I don’t know about you, but I personally love a cool, crisp appetizer when it comes to a Labor Day party. The summer weather remains, so keeping cool is still a priority. These deconstructed egg rolls do the trick for me. You’ve got cool, crunchy slaw that is topped with a slightly spicy dressing. The added bonus: egg roll crackers that are absolutely a cinch to put together.
You’ve got cool, you have crispy, you have spicy, you have sweet. For me, each bite is a winner. And of course, it wouldn’t be a Labor Day celebration without a little bit of wine to go along with it! Thankfully, Gallo Family Vineyards has the perfect wine to accompany these deconstructed egg rolls: their brand new Riesling! This sweet addition to their repertoire is a great match: the flavors of honeysuckle, pear, peach, and citrus pair well with Asian style dishes. The kick of sriracha in the dressing is cooled down nicely by the Riesling. A match made in heaven, if I do say so myself! And when you finish with the Riesling, you can move on to your dessert course paired with Gallo Family Vineyards’ Sweet Red.
Another thing I love about this recipe? It is versatile. You can go ahead and serve up your slaw on top of the egg roll crackers, but you can also place it in a bowl as a salad dish, along with an egg roll cracker or two on the side for crunch. This current recipe is a meatless option, but you could definitely change that up if you wanted to. Adding shredded cooked chicken or cooked shrimp would be a fabulous option for those who would like to add meat to this dish. Options: you totally have them!
So – what will you be serving up for your Labor Day festivities?
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (I use olive oil mayo)
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Use a knife (or a pizza cutter) to slice the egg roll wrappers in half diagonally into triangle shapes.
- Place wrappers on the greased baking sheet, then spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 7 minutes until golden brown, rotating the crackers in the oven half way through the baking process.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl until incorporated. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Add all of the ingredients for the slaw into a large bowl. Drizzle with prepared dressing and toss to coat fully.
- Scoop slaw on top of the egg roll crackers and present on a platter. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Take a few moments today to peruse Gallo Family Vineyards’ collection of Labor Day recipes! If you are searching for Gallo Family Vineyards’ wine near you, check out their store locator. You can even download a $1 off digital coupon for your next purchase!
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards. Make sure you check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ website, like them on Facebook, start a conversation with them on Twitter, see their photos on Instagram, and watch them on YouTube!
And don’t miss out on all of the other amazing recipes by the Sunday Supper crew today!
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.