Happy Mother’s Day everyone! I hope you are all able to spend some time celebrating with the mothers in your life today.
For me, Mother’s Day is always a good excuse to enjoy a sweet treat. And this, my friends, is one of my favorites. I remember making it for the first time for my mom one year. She is the cook in the family, and although I always help, Mother’s Day is a time for me to take the reins on the meal.
I’m not going to lie – this is a semi-homemade treat. But it is completely delicious. It was born from my obsession with making instant pudding into mousse for dessert (instead of 2 cups of milk, you use 1 cup, then fold in 1 cup of whipped topping). I figured there was a way to take it to the next level, and this pie was the result.
You don’t necessarily have to use Kahlua in your recipe if you want to keep it alcohol free, but it adds that extra “something something” for me. You could also substitute the Kahlua for another liqueur; we were out of it one time and used the Patron XO Cafe liqueur instead. It turned out great that time as well! As an added wow factor, you can toast up some coconut and sprinkle it on top of your pie slice – so delicious!
What will you be whipping up to celebrate Mother’s Day? Anything special?
Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie
10 oz Brownie mix pouch, and ingredients to prepare it
1 box (3.9 oz) instant chocolate or chocolate fudge pudding (not stove top)
1 cup milk
4 cups whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
3 tbsp Kahlua
1. Preheat oven to temperature designated on brownie mix package. Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions. If you can’t find a 10 oz pouch of brownie mix, you can also make a full size brownie mix, and set aside half of the batter for another use. Stir in 1 tbsp of the Kahlua into the batter, then spread the brownie batter into the bottom of a pie plate (greased with baking spray).
2. Bake brownie according to package instructions. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before moving on to the next step!
3. In a large bowl, add 1 cup milk and contents of the instant pudding package. Whisk together for 2 minutes, until pudding mixture becomes thick. Add 1 tbsp of Kahlua, and gently fold in 1 cup of whipped topping. Fold until combined. Then, spread the pudding mixture on top of the cooled brownie.
4. In another bowl, add 3 cups whipped topping and remaining tablespoon of Kahlua. Gently fold until incorporated. You can add a bit more Kahlua to the topping if desired, depending on your flavor preference. Use a spatula to gently spread the whipped topping on top of the chocolate mousse layer, then place finished pie in the refrigerator for 20 or more minutes to allow it to set.
5. When ready to serve, remove pie from the refrigerator, slice into pieces with a sharp knife, and enjoy!
Make sure you check out the other delicious recipes from the folks at Sunday Supper!
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream from Neighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet