This post is sponsored by organicgirl in conjunction with a social media campaign through the Tampa Bay Bloggers. All opinions are my own. #geturgreenon
We are officially in an “in between” time of the year seasonally. While the rest of the country seems to be bundled up in cold clothes, and the fresh produce at the grocery stores are still in “winter” mode, our temperatures here in Florida are in the mid 70s. I’m not complaining – it is officially my favorite time of the year to be here! The humidity has not yet sunk in, and the weather is so pleasant – I find myself throwing open the glass doors in our living room and letting the air circulate. It’s glorious…and it’s the perfect weather for this Butternut Squash and Crispy Chickpea Salad!
Anyway, the slightly warmer temperatures have me in the mood for salads. I won’t lie – I get a hankering for salads pretty much year-round. However, I like to change up the ingredients based on the season, so even though my plate is filled with fresh veggies, it reflects the month we’re in! Right now that means I’m up to my ears in squash…and I’m not upset about that one bit.
Lately I’ve been a bit obsessed with butternut squash. I’ve been roasting it up in big batches and enjoying it in a number of ways. From breakfast with eggs and spinach, to having it alongside a bunch of other roasted veggies for dinner…or for this salad as a delicious lunch option! Overall, this salad is so easy to put together, but the flavor and texture combination is the opposite!
You’ve got the sweet and delicate crunch of the organicgirl Sweet Pea greens, the tender roasted butternut squash, the bite of the red onion, and the satisfying crunch of the roasted chickpeas (in place of croutons). On top, the white cheddar salad love dressing to add just enough richness and herbs to finish everything off! I am normally not a big fan of creamy dressings, but this white cheddar version is seriously delicious and it has earned a place in my dressing rotation!
And can we just take a second to talk about the crispy chickpeas on top of the salad? Be still, my heart. I LOVE roasted chickpeas. LOVE LOVE LOVE. If you haven’t made a batch in your own kitchen, do yourself a favor and whip some up immediately. Eat them as a healthy snack. Eat them on top of salads in place of croutons. Put them out in place of beer nuts next time at cocktail hour. Eat them just because. But beware: they are addicting. I suggest making a larger batch and storing them in an airtight container for up to 48 hours. They probably won’t even last a full 24, but at least you won’t have to constantly turn the oven on to create a new batch! The more the merrier, people.
Anyway, putting together this Butternut Squash and Crispy Chickpea Salad should really be on your to-do list in the near future…because it’s worth it. And while you’re at it, why don’t you enter to win an organicgirl prize pack? Scroll below to get in on the giveaway action – you can take home a month supply of organicgirl salad greens and dressings! Act fast…it’s only up for a day!
- 1 clamshell (4 ounces) organicgirl sweet pea greens
- 1 medium butternut squash
- ½ red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons (approx) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- White cheddar salad love dressing, to taste
- First, make the roasted chickpeas. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas, then remove the skins. To remove the skin, pinch a chickpea between your thumb and index finger. The skin should slide off. Discard the chickpea skins, and add the chickpeas into a bowl. Toss the chickpeas in olive oil. grated parmesan, garlic salt, and pepper until they are fully coated. Line a baking sheet/tray with parchment paper and pour the chickpeas in a single layer on top. Bake the chickpeas for 35-40 minutes until golden and crispy, shaking the tray halfway through to toss them. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Next, roast the butternut squash. Increase the temperature on the oven to 475 degrees F. Cut both ends off of the butternut squash, and then cut the bulb end of the squash off of the neck. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off of the squash, then slice each piece in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds from the squash. Cut the squash into ½ inch cubes, then drizzle with olive oil (2+ tablespoons...make sure each piece is coated), and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet, then roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until squash is browned and tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To assemble the salad, place a bed of organicgirl sweet pea greens in a bowl/on a plate. Top with ¼ of the butternut squash cubes, ¼ of the crispy chickpeas, and ¼ of the red onion. Drizzle lightly with white cheddar salad love dressing and toss to coat. Enjoy!!!
And if that wasn’t enough, you can “like” organicgirl and sign up to be a judge at our live tasting event coming up on March 15. You can find the contest link under “Tampa Bay Bloggers” under the “More” tab on the organicgirl Facebook page. What do you have to lose?